MX518 or G500?

Should I get a MX518 or a G500?

  • MX518

    Votes: 24 50.0%
  • G500

    Votes: 24 50.0%

  • Total voters
    48

MattyC

Gawd
Joined
Mar 13, 2007
Messages
797
My ancient MX510 is finally starting to go bad. It has developed a short where if the cord goes left it will briefly cut out for 2-3 seconds before coming back. I currently have MX518 on my laptop so I know I like it, plus it is basically the 510 which I have loved.


Anyway, I am having trouble locating a newer model 518. Most all the places I look they are either overpriced or the old model (lower DPI smoked bottom) so I thought I might consider the G500. Anyone have experience coming from a 510 or 518 to the 500? Would you recommend it?
 
to be honest the Deathadder is better than both of those
it has the same optical sensor as the intelli mice and it does not have prediction or drift control. Razer has fixed early issues with certain pads and movement with the last few firmware updates. Anyways i cannot recommend the 518mx because it does not allow you to adjust the polling rate to 500hz. anything below 500hz feels slow and laggy.
BTW the death adder works great at 500hz at either 450dpi or 1800dpi

the 3500 dpi advertised is stupid it works ok but i think it tracks better at 1800dpi.

i don't know much about the G500 other than that it has a shitty laser sensor.
 
Well I agree with the above poster saying the deathadder or perhaps something else (I'm just not a fan of logitech).

But why can you not find a newer Mx518, where are you looking...

With all that being said I'd pick the G500 over the mx518, yeah the laser sensor has acceleration (But hard to notice). I think more importantly they really did a better job with the shape and the G500 doesn't have such a terrible thumb rest unlike the mx500s so I would recommend that over the Mx518.

I do think you should look at other mice just to see your options though!
 
Hm I've never been a fan of Razor, though I have never owned one. They seemed poorly made to me. Granted I have an incredibly small sample size, but out of people I LAN with / used to LAN with 4 of them owned Razors and they all had issues pretty early on. One of the more common ones was a short in the cord. I guess I ended up with that too, but my 510 is from launch whereas they had problems in less than a year. Either way my sample size there is crazy small so it could have just been bad luck.


I might give the DA a look if it is comfortable. I actually think the 500s are the most comfortable mice I have used, so I would like to keep that form factor if possible.


EDIT: As for where I am looking, TigerDirect, NewEgg, and Logitech's own site. Tiger has the older 518, NewEgg had nothing, and Logitech is out of 518s atm.
 
518 if you can, or G500 if you can't find one. I'm never touching a Razer product again after the bullshit with my Mamba (and long since dead Boomslang.)
 
Well you don't have to limit yourself to just razer... The Zowie EC mouse has a similar shape to the 3.0/Deathadder, and people who own it say it has a much stronger build quality over the Deathadder... Uses the same sensor found in the Mx518 and completely driver less and setup to run at 1000hz...

There's a lot of mice out there to pick from and I recommend you take a look at what's available, Logitech isn't the only brand to make good mice...
 
I actually went back to my MX518 from the G500, i prefered the feel of it.
 
My blue MX510 is in the drawer after years of use and it still works perfectly, never had a problem, no wire shorting. Now I use an 1800dpi MX518, and no problem so far. I would recommend you sticking with the 518, it's a great mouse with the right amount of buttons, no fancy glowing lights, and gets the job done. You should be able to get one, they're very popular. Pity you're not in the UK, they're going for £21 to £25, which is about $39.
You might want to read this too, which talks about razers unreliability versus Microsoft and Logitechs reliability.

http://www.tacwar.com/wiki/index.php?title=Gaming_Gear


I found my old MIE 3.0(x08) in the drawer. Might have to plug it in again to see what it's like, it's been ages since I used it. From 1800dpi to 400 will be interesting.
 
You haven't specified if you are a low sens player or not, mx518 is just fine for that purpose fine no matter the version, the only real difference is the bigger - smoother feet in the newer one, g500 fails to provide 1:1 response for low sens players, its weight is unbalanced and the sensor position is totally off, i would consider the switch from 510 to 518 an upgrade and the switch from 518 to G500 a downgrade.
 
DeathAdder for the win. It really is a phenomenal mouse and I have found it to be very durable.
 
You haven't specified if you are a low sens player or not, mx518 is just fine for that purpose fine no matter the version, the only real difference is the bigger - smoother feet in the newer one, g500 fails to provide 1:1 response for low sens players, its weight is unbalanced and the sensor position is totally off, i would consider the switch from 510 to 518 an upgrade and the switch from 518 to G500 a downgrade.

Uh oh :( I am a fairly low sen player (at least by competitive gamer standards). I picked up a G500 today. It was on sale for $48.99 at bestbuy and they wanted $60 for the 518. Hopefully I end up liking it. I think I probably would have been happier with the 518, but I wasn't paying that for it and the only ones I found online were the older 518s.
 
What would you consider overpriced for the MX518?
Amazon has it for $40 shipped.
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Performance-Optical-Gaming-Mouse/dp/B0007Z1M50
Logitech hasn't manufactured the 1600dpi model since 06. I'd find it hard to believe there are any out in retail channels.

I love my DeathAdder though. The 3500dpi model has a braided cord that seems like it would take more use than my old one. The braids are tighter than what you find on a G500 and G9.
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
What would you consider overpriced for the MX518?
Amazon has it for $40 shipped.
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Performance-Optical-Gaming-Mouse/dp/B0007Z1M50
Logitech hasn't manufactured the 1600dpi model since 06. I'd find it hard to believe there are any out in retail channels.

I love my DeathAdder though. The 3500dpi model has a braided cord that seems like it would take more use than my old one. The braids are tighter than what you find on a G500 and G9.

Both the Tiger and Amazon pages list it as the 1600 DPI model and appear to show the old bottom.


Like I said hopefully will end up liking the G500 even if I might have prefered a MX518. I've used it at work today and found it to be pretty nice. Will have to try gaming out this evening. I do like the toggle on the scroll wheel pretty well.
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I think you made the right choice picking the G500 over the mx518, again I think the shape is a big improvement compared to the Mx500s or G5 series...

But just so you know I don't think you should worry much about the 1600dpi vs 1800dpi models... DPI doesn't mean your mouse is more accurate and the older 1600dpi model tracked extremely well up to I think 4m/s without any acceleration... The only downside with the sensor (both 1600 and 1800dpi) is that they have prediction...
 
I love my 518 so much I bought 2, just in case the first one ever dies. Have had it for 5 years and still trollin'.
 
i upgraded from a mx510 to the g500 and i love this thing, you cant go wrong with this choice.
 
i upgraded from a mx510 to the g500 and i love this thing, you cant go wrong with this choice.


+1 to this statement!
I upgraded from an mx 510 to a g 500 and wouldn't trade this mouse. My mx 510 is still fully functional after many long years of gaming so I know logitech is well made but I live the dpi on the fly.
 
mx518 is just fine for that purpose fine no matter the version, the only real difference is the bigger - smoother feet in the newer one


And a small matter of twice the dpi.

Oops, thought you meant from MX 510 to 518, but you meant different versions of the 518. Yeah, different feet.
 
Last edited:
I've had my G500 for about a month now. At first it felt a little uncomfortable (thumb positioning), but after a few weeks if feels natural. Great mouse.
 
The 518 wins by a mile. The G500's surface, button placement, acceleration, button sensitivity and overall shape is just completely inferior compared to the 518. In fact I'd go as far to say that the G500 is one of their worst mouses I've ever used.
 
I really like the new scroll wheel in the G500, I've had mx518, G5 etc..., not a fan of Razor anymore too many issues with firmware updates and hijinks.
 
I have the G500 and its great! Had it for a year this December. I have large hands and it fits very comfortably. G500 is very nice I vote for G500!
 
Both the Tiger and Amazon pages list it as the 1600 DPI model and appear to show the old bottom.

The P/N number matches the new 1800dpi model at the Logitech site. I forgot what the old P/N number was, but I do know they were different.
 
I would buy the mx518. You just can't go wrong with that mouse for gaming. It's just does what it should beautifully.
 
my vote is for the G500. I had a mx518 that went south. But the real reason I didn't like it was the finish on it always felt grimy. No, it wasn't from any bodily fluids; just normal oils from the hand. Yes, I wash my hands frequently.

But the scroll wheel on the G500 is completely awesome. The scroll wheel alone is worth choosing the G500 over the mx518.
I have 1xG5 rev 1, 2xG5 rev 2, as well as 2xG500's.
 
Back
Top