nothingworks
n00b
- Joined
- Jan 5, 2006
- Messages
- 13
Hello everyone. I recently picked up a Logitech MX518 mouse to replace my MX500. I am using this for gaming.
I saw lots of threads about how gamers noticed an improvement in mouse performance immediately after starting to use their new MX518. Unforunately, the experience has been the opposite for me. I never noticed any real difference when playing a single-player game, but after a few sessions with CS 1.6 online, I am having the toughest time adjusting to this mouse. It's so frustrating.
My settings:
- mouse DPI at 1600
(I figure, this is one reason I bought the mouse in the first place)
- CS in-game sensitivity 1.0-4.0
(been trying different values, but last session I was at 2.0)
- Windows mouse control panel setting is a notch or two below the midpoint
(with 1600DPI, feels most comfortable when using the mouse on the Windows desktop)
- SetPoint sensitivity setting is around the midpoint
- mouse acceleration is not enabled, either with the Windows mouse control panel, or in the SetPoint config panel
- for Mouse Game Settings in SetPoint, I have Game Detection enabled, and Speed and Acceleration set to the SetPoint value.
My problem is I find the mouse to be too touchy at times. When coming out of spawn, I move the mouse around and it feels OK. BUT, when I flick my wrist to quickly get the crosshair on a target that just appeared, my crosshair always overshoots the target. That would sound like mouse acceleration is on, but it's definitely disabled everywhere.
(As an aside, I generally like to be able to do a 180 by moving the mouse less than a foot, without having to lift it up... seems like mid-sensitivity gaming to me, no?)
What I don't understand is whether the Windows control panel setting will have any effect on my mouse when in a game. For the SetPoint "Speed and Acceleration" option, if I choose to use the SetPoint implementation (vs. OS implementation) what does that mean - that the Windows mouse speed settings are essentially disabled?
Or if I enable "Game Detection" and choose to use the SetPoint implementation (vs. OS implementation), does that mean that the SetPoint implementation will override the Windows settings ONLY when I'm playing a "detected" game?
Or is in-game sensitivity, in all cases, a combination of Windows control panel setting + SetPoint settings + in-game settings?
All I know is when playing CS, I'd switch the DPI down to 800, and it felt a little less wild when I'd flick the mouse around. But I think that defeats the purpose of getting the MX518 in the first place. I also do realize that some of this could be adjustment on my part - you can't necessarily expect to go from a mouse you've been using for years to a new one and "get it" immediately.
I should probably RTFM (I'm at work ATM), but I thought I'd ask ahead of time. There seem to be many MX518 fans out there... I know many of you don't use SetPoint at all, but I'm hoping I can get some settings advice from those of you that do.
I saw lots of threads about how gamers noticed an improvement in mouse performance immediately after starting to use their new MX518. Unforunately, the experience has been the opposite for me. I never noticed any real difference when playing a single-player game, but after a few sessions with CS 1.6 online, I am having the toughest time adjusting to this mouse. It's so frustrating.
My settings:
- mouse DPI at 1600
(I figure, this is one reason I bought the mouse in the first place)
- CS in-game sensitivity 1.0-4.0
(been trying different values, but last session I was at 2.0)
- Windows mouse control panel setting is a notch or two below the midpoint
(with 1600DPI, feels most comfortable when using the mouse on the Windows desktop)
- SetPoint sensitivity setting is around the midpoint
- mouse acceleration is not enabled, either with the Windows mouse control panel, or in the SetPoint config panel
- for Mouse Game Settings in SetPoint, I have Game Detection enabled, and Speed and Acceleration set to the SetPoint value.
My problem is I find the mouse to be too touchy at times. When coming out of spawn, I move the mouse around and it feels OK. BUT, when I flick my wrist to quickly get the crosshair on a target that just appeared, my crosshair always overshoots the target. That would sound like mouse acceleration is on, but it's definitely disabled everywhere.
(As an aside, I generally like to be able to do a 180 by moving the mouse less than a foot, without having to lift it up... seems like mid-sensitivity gaming to me, no?)
What I don't understand is whether the Windows control panel setting will have any effect on my mouse when in a game. For the SetPoint "Speed and Acceleration" option, if I choose to use the SetPoint implementation (vs. OS implementation) what does that mean - that the Windows mouse speed settings are essentially disabled?
Or if I enable "Game Detection" and choose to use the SetPoint implementation (vs. OS implementation), does that mean that the SetPoint implementation will override the Windows settings ONLY when I'm playing a "detected" game?
Or is in-game sensitivity, in all cases, a combination of Windows control panel setting + SetPoint settings + in-game settings?
All I know is when playing CS, I'd switch the DPI down to 800, and it felt a little less wild when I'd flick the mouse around. But I think that defeats the purpose of getting the MX518 in the first place. I also do realize that some of this could be adjustment on my part - you can't necessarily expect to go from a mouse you've been using for years to a new one and "get it" immediately.
I should probably RTFM (I'm at work ATM), but I thought I'd ask ahead of time. There seem to be many MX518 fans out there... I know many of you don't use SetPoint at all, but I'm hoping I can get some settings advice from those of you that do.