MX510 Logitech mouse right click fix

zeusenergy

Limp Gawd
Well this isn't really a mod, but more of a repair. I have been disappointed with my MX-510 for a couple of weeks, especially since it cost $50 and lasted about two months with no problems. I began to notice the right click button not working once in a while. WTF?
I have owned about ten Logitech Mice. All of them have been great values, so don't start thinking I'm flaming in this thread! It's just that I had come to appreciate Logitech mice for being more reliable than MS mice. I also got the MS Intellimouse Explorer 1.0 (the very first optical mouse) when it came out, and the cable failed after about six months because it was designed with no strain relief and the cable was thin. This was typical for that mouse and many users had the same problem. I beat on my mice so it's really no surprise that I can go thru so many of them, with gaming and regular use plus kids. but I expected the Logitech MX-510 to outlast that old explorer!
So when I got the MX-510 I said that would be the last mouse I would buy for a long time. It just cost so much that I needed to make it last. Other than the right-click problem, the accuracy of the mouse is second to none and will rail or shock-core up to my expectations.
I took the mouse apart and cleaned it out, but it didn't help at all. Now the warranty was void, but who cares about warranties in here? :0)
So I was stuck with a half-ass mouse that didn't really allow me to make my jumps in UT2K4, Painkiller, QIII, etc. I decided to take things into my own hands and attempt a quick fix.
Once the MX-510 was apart again, I noticed a hairline crack in the tiny plastic housing of the right-click microswitch. I lightly touched the switch and the plastic parts of the housing fell apart, and I had five tiny pieces to deal with suddenly. The microswitch was all done, and so was my MX-510!
Remember how I said I had about ten logitech mice in the past? Well, the Logitech MouseMan+ sitting at the bottom of my tool case wasn't doing me any good. So I took it apart and looked at the difference between the microswitches in the MX-510 and the MM+. The switches inside the MM+ were much beefier than the MX-510, but the same dimentions and the circuits operated the same across both microswitches. Time to desolder some PCB's!
After replacing the switch in the MX-510 with my trusty MM+, all is good. It really makes sense for Logitech to go with the cheapest parts they can to reduce the cost of the mouse, but the microswitch didn't take much abuse before dying. I think that input devices such as mice and keyboards need to be a bit more sturdy......
switch.jpg

Why didn't you just leave it together and get Logitech to replace it under warranty?

viper11885 said:
Why didn't you just leave it together and get Logitech to replace it under warranty?
Um, cause I had originally took it apart to clean out whatever crap might be interfering with the button action.:rolleyes: Of course that wasn't the problem, but I was hoping it was!
You have to break the seals on the bottom label to do that... And once I put it together again, I was screwed. I just don't like waiting and paying for shipping. My CompUSA reciept is too old to just bring it back to the store too. Really the whole reason I posted this is to make people aware of the problem with the MX-510. I think the new microswitch is more sensitive too! Good feel to it like the old Logitech mice.
BTW, Logitech has a brand new mouse out right now, the MX-1000 and I lust for it! Check their site, its only been up since Sept 1st. Holy crap a LASER mouse. Makes the MX-510 look like junk. :D
Besides, the carnage is pretty funny :p

Back