MX5021: Problem.

TheBlueChanell

Supreme [H]ardness
2FA
Joined
Apr 15, 2005
Messages
4,658
I've had my MX5021's for almost 4 years now and while I know they're not the best 2.1 setup I preferred them over the Z-2300's and the Klipsch were out my price range at the time.

I've recently ran into the problems with them. The first problem is the output jack on the back of my Sub is going bad, I lose sound in my right speaker and I have to wiggle/twist the cord to get it to come back. The second problem I'm having is the bottom driver on my left speaker isn't emitting any sound so it makes some of my music, especially the stuff with high pitched guitar, sound extremely funky.

I'm wondering if the Jack going bad on the back of my sub is the cause of the Bottom Left speaker not working, or if it's a coincidence.

Anyways, Is there a cheap way to fix the jack problem? What do you think the problem could be with my left speaker. :(

I don't have any extra money atm to replace these so I'd like to get them back into working shape. Thanks, Matt. :D
 
Both issues sound like wiring problems. Although with the jack, it could also be in the cable, or just some really dirty connectors. The cheap way to fix it involves going in with a soldering iron and fixing the bad connections, but if you were adept with one I suspect you would have tried that already.

Parts marketed as "computer" speakers rarely have that great a build quality, and yours are four years old. Sorry, but it sounds like they're dying.
 
Both issues sound like wiring problems. Although with the jack, it could also be in the cable, or just some really dirty connectors. The cheap way to fix it involves going in with a soldering iron and fixing the bad connections, but if you were adept with one I suspect you would have tried that already.

Parts marketed as "computer" speakers rarely have that great a build quality, and yours are four years old. Sorry, but it sounds like they're dying.

The cable works as an auxilary cable perfectly fine in a car, and It's not too dirty in here. I'm not very proficient with a soldering iron though maybe now's the time to learn. :D
 
There are a few things that could be going wrong, but if wiggling the connectors affects sound / no sound, you have a connectivity issue. If it's not dirty contacts, and it's not the cable, then it must be something to do with the sub by elimination.

See if you can get it opened up (non-destructively) and look around for anything that's obviously not well-connected.

Soldering = fun. :D

Well, unless you burn a hole through several layers of your skin because the iron slipped.
 
Back
Top