MX Red VS Brown noise

Flogger23m

[H]F Junkie
Saw the other thread on the subject, but I just wanted to ask whether the MX Red keys make less noise than the Browns. I realize the Browns retain a tactile feel (though not as much as the Blues) while the Reds don't. No store near me seems to have Reds on display for me to try so that is not an option.

If you type properly without bottoming out, both switches should be near silent on descent. The majority of the noise comes from the clacking that occurs when you bottom out. If you find yourself bottoming out, you can use o-rings or landing pads to reduce the noise. I find that it is easier to type properly on the red switches after getting used to them. If you are indifferent about the tactile feel and would like to minimize noise, I suggest getting a red-switched PCB-mounted keyboard. You can add the o-rings later on if the noise still bothers you.

They sound about the same. Browns have the extra click noise when they actuate but it is very quiet. The loudest thing will be bottoming out which is about the same noise level as typing on a rubber dome keyboard. If you want them to be quieter you can always put o-ring dampeners on them. But you might not like the feel because it does make them a little mushy when you're bottoming out.

Whether you bottom out or not has nothing to do with typing properly. In fact it is almost impossible to not bottom while typing with with reds, it is just a matter of how hard you're going to bottom out. If you worry too much about it you're going to strain your fingers trying to move and stop your fingers more precisely than they were made to comfortably do.

Ditto what they said. I have both switch types and am the kind of typist that bottoms out probably 99.99% of the time so they sound pretty similar.

I'm using MX Reds with o-ring dampeners, and its fairly quiet.

I just bought the gigabyte osmium which has MX Red and I really like it. It's my first mechanical keyboard and if you don't mash the keys it pretty quite.

I have reds and while the keys themselves don't make a lot of noise, it's pretty hard not to bottom out with them. It's possible to type nearly silently with reds, but it's not practical.

Back