Mwave CL56 for gaming laptop ($1255) help please

neoreturns

[H]ard|Gawd
http://www.mwave.com/mwave/viewspec.hmx?scriteria=NB-BA20074

Specs:
15" SXGA+ screen (1400x1050)
P-M 1.8 GHz
128 mb DDR (will buy 512 stick from newegg)
128 mb 9700
60 GB 5400 RPM hardrive
DVD/CDRW
no OS (keeps cost down)

All for $1255. What do you guys think?

Do you think there is anything better for the money? I'm not really digging most of the widescreen laptops out there and currently my laptop is a Dell i8200 with the SXGA+ and I absolutely love it (wish it was a bit brighter)

Games to play are HL2, Vampire Masquerade Bloodlines, UT2004, etc

I have a cl56 w/ 512mb, 40gb, and so on...........it's alright, but the keyboard sucks.....P M 1.6 banias, yadayada

I'd build my own if I had the cash to buy one...............ewiz has z80k Athlon 64 notebook barebones.......you can pick up a mobile 2800 for $135.........all else you would need is RAM, hard drive and OS.............you can keep it @ 1200 if you already have an OS

The CL56 is a nice notebook, but the screen is poor for off angle viewing if you mind. I got the Asus M6N instead of the Compal CL56 (which is what the Mwave is, it's a rebadged Compal) though.

I really enjoy my Cl 56. The viewing angle does kind of suck but i'm used to it. Battery life is also great. Overal i'm impressed with it. You might want to opt for the 7200rpm hard drive, it makes alot of difference

you shut up bout the a64, a pm 1.8 will rape that, thats a sick deal man, get yourself some ram and a usb keyboard and mouse

Don't want to get the A64 since I use it a lot outside home for studying (our path module is all online) and I need the good battery life.

Also can you guys elaborate more on the screen viewing angle? Is it that you cant see the screen from the sides?

As for the viewing angle you can see the screen from even far angles up to about 160 degrees it just gets a litle hmm how to describe.....a little less sharp, i'm talking about from a side to side view.....the viewing angle up and down (Tilt wise) is a bit more noticeable, idealy I try to have mine at a straight viewing angle where my eyes are at the same angle as the screen. Now if that despriction made NO sence.....don't worry i can read the thread with my laptop at large angles I"d doubt you have a problem

SILVR 6 said:
As for the viewing angle you can see the screen from even far angles up to about 160 degrees it just gets a litle hmm how to describe.....a little less sharp, i'm talking about from a side to side view.....the viewing angle up and down (Tilt wise) is a bit more noticeable, idealy I try to have mine at a straight viewing angle where my eyes are at the same angle as the screen. Now if that despriction made NO sence.....don't worry i can read the thread with my laptop at large angles I"d doubt you have a problem

Thanks that definetly cleared up some questions. I did a search on notebookforums and most people say you'll forget about it after a week or so. I'm not particularily picky for something at this price so this isn't an issue

I have Compal brand lappy. Bought it from PC-Club When the Pentium M just came out, I got 1.3GHZ model and the Moblie 9000 64DDR was king back then :D Anyways the screen viewing angle is kinda bad but nothing horriable and its easy to forget. Mine runs very cool, and is quiet. Also I had mine for 1 1/2 years and not one problem yet. Thats a gooddeal :D

www.dsn-computers.com

Compal CL56
1.7MB Dothan 2MB Cache
15"SXGA
80GB HDD
1024MB DDR 333MHz
DVD+/-RW 4x
Intel WiFi b,g

Bought my for $1550.00

This is one of the best laptops that I ever bought. :)

i have a CL51 from acer..
its basically the CL56..but without the dedicated video. (uses the same battery/optical drive cage)

agreed to low angle screen on them..but eh.

its a nice laptop overall. i'd kill for one with a 9700 in it...lol

Thanks guys still have this thread subscribed :p

I bought it about a month ago sometime late December, and its incredible. Been playing mostly CS:S, HL2DM and KOTOR on it full details 1024x768

neoreturns said:
Thanks guys still have this thread subscribed :p

I bought it about a month ago sometime late December, and its incredible. Been playing mostly CS:S, HL2DM and KOTOR on it full details 1024x768
That is awesome.

How fast is it?

Everybody seems to dog on mwaves simply because the HD and RAM aren't exactly the fastest.

Back