MW2 - single player comment...

lopoetve

Extremely [H]
So I finally fired up MW2 - I know, a few weeks late to the boat. Was really looking forward to the SP, and even some of the MP, since a bunch of my friends have been playing it, but to be honest, I was most invested in the single player. I've played all of them to this date, and other than COD1, finished them all too. I played COD2 through 4 times (including the hardest difficulty), COD3 once (meh), COD4 3 times (including most of the hardest difficulty), and even most of the way through COD5 before my PC bit it and ate the save ($!@#$), so suffice to say I've been very invested in the franchise so far, and especially in the single player. In fact, I've only played Nazi Zombies so far for MP on the entire series. I'm a SP gamer by trade.

The one thing Infinity Ward, and even Treyarch (with the exception of COD3, which was a travesty) aced, was the atmosphere - it felt like you were playing a ~movie~. I loved it. I still remember the first time I got a javelin kill on a tank in COD4, and the boat sequence... I remember finally beating the last level of COD2 on the hardest difficulty, and cheering when I got the achievement... And now that I've fired up MW2, I'm just not feeling it at all. The infinite spawn points are ~really~ obvious - I can't ever get to that suspension of disbelief that I had in all the other ones. Every time I start to get into the game, it just pulls me out because it's so blatantly obvious that it's a game, and not an experience anymore. The one bright moment so far was the ice wall scene.

The story line (even the massacre level) is pretty thin, and it feels like a total rehash of everything we've done so far (and a knock off of every major spy/whatever movie in the last 3 years). There's just nothing new here, and it doesn't feel fresh this time...

I'm on some level in Brazil at this point, and I just don't have ~any~ urge to keep going. One man vs. infinite spawn where you can actually see them spawning, with more grenades and flash bangs strapped to my ass than bugs on a calcutta hooker, and the most bland level design I've seen since Diaktana? I just can't get into it this time.

The point of this thread isn't really to rant. I'm just curious if anyone else was really disappointed in the single player, and if it gets better (or keeps being more of the same). Is this just a single crap level, or is the game a COD3 with a good multiplayer portion?

The Brazil level was a PITA from what I recall, but the game does get better(IMO),

The single campaign is trash. Their blatant attempts to be "cool" are so ham-fisted and oafish that it completely backfires. In MW1 it was interesting that they "killed" the player with a scripted crash. In MW2 they just kill the player 5 times, because apparently they think repeating the same gimmick 5 times must be 5 times as fun. Bad guys are ridiculous cardboard cutouts. A chopper is ripping through a building's window by firing explosive rounds...so the badguys decide their best option is to have 1 man stand in every open window to wait for the chopper to come and ream them. They think using large amounts of enemies is "cool" in their scripted scenes, but in reality, it just makes you think, how can 1 man dragging another man through a wide-open grassy field, while being fired upon by 30 men just 100ft away, NOT get ventilated? The suspension of belief is just too much. As early as the second level you see a snowmobile flying off a flat edge...and for some reason, travels UPWARD and over a 40ft chasm. They couldn't at least place a ramp at the bottom? They didn't think it was necessary apparently, they just decided to depend on your suspension of belief instead. Also, it's really fortunate that everybody in a snowmobile or raft wants to be polite, they all wait until they drive in front of you before they start shooting. It's just unfortunate for them that you can lazily wave your mini-uzi around in their general direction with one hand and hit 5 people in one sweep while bouncing across the water. Even an action movie doesn't ask you to suspend your belief that far.

However, since you've played all the prior call of duty games, I understand that you'd to expect infinite spawn since all the previous ones have had it. However during this iteration they actually removed the infinite spawn points because people were so annoyed by them. If you try it again and just peck at the bad guys long enough, they stop coming. It's not infinite enemies, just a lot of them. Veteran mode is actually quite a bit easier this time because you're able to just sit and peck at the enemies until they're all cleared away, which doesn't work in earlier Call of Duty games.

Last edited:
So I finally fired up MW2 - I know, a few weeks late to the boat. Was really looking forward to the SP, and even some of the MP, since a bunch of my friends have been playing it, but to be honest, I was most invested in the single player. I've played all of them to this date, and other than COD1, finished them all too. I played COD2 through 4 times (including the hardest difficulty), COD3 once (meh), COD4 3 times (including most of the hardest difficulty), and even most of the way through COD5 before my PC bit it and ate the save ($!@#$), so suffice to say I've been very invested in the franchise so far, and especially in the single player. In fact, I've only played Nazi Zombies so far for MP on the entire series. I'm a SP gamer by trade.

The one thing Infinity Ward, and even Treyarch (with the exception of COD3, which was a travesty) aced, was the atmosphere - it felt like you were playing a ~movie~. I loved it. I still remember the first time I got a javelin kill on a tank in COD4, and the boat sequence... I remember finally beating the last level of COD2 on the hardest difficulty, and cheering when I got the achievement... And now that I've fired up MW2, I'm just not feeling it at all. The infinite spawn points are ~really~ obvious - I can't ever get to that suspension of disbelief that I had in all the other ones. Every time I start to get into the game, it just pulls me out because it's so blatantly obvious that it's a game, and not an experience anymore. The one bright moment so far was the ice wall scene.

The story line (even the massacre level) is pretty thin, and it feels like a total rehash of everything we've done so far (and a knock off of every major spy/whatever movie in the last 3 years). There's just nothing new here, and it doesn't feel fresh this time...

I'm on some level in Brazil at this point, and I just don't have ~any~ urge to keep going. One man vs. infinite spawn where you can actually see them spawning, with more grenades and flash bangs strapped to my ass than bugs on a calcutta hooker, and the most bland level design I've seen since Diaktana? I just can't get into it this time.

The point of this thread isn't really to rant. I'm just curious if anyone else was really disappointed in the single player, and if it gets better (or keeps being more of the same). Is this just a single crap level, or is the game a COD3 with a good multiplayer portion?

What? I played through MW2 on the hardest difficulty (Veteran I believe) and I don't remember any infinite spawns. You killed them, they're dead... and they are always in the same places.

MW2 experience was good, on par with MW1 I think. Better than WaW. COD1 was awesome but the Modern warfares really go in a different direction.

really? they certainly seem to keep coming, and from the exact same spot too. I figured they hadn't changed that, since it's ~always~ been that way. I'll change my strategy then.

The single campaign is trash. Their blatant attempts to be "cool" are so ham-fisted and oafish that it completely backfires. In MW1 it was interesting that they "killed" the player with a scripted crash. In MW2 they just kill the player 5 times, because apparently they think repeating the same gimmick 5 times must be 5 times as fun. Bad guys are ridiculous cardboard cutouts. A chopper is ripping through a building's window by firing explosive rounds...so the badguys decide their best option is to have 1 man stand in every open window to wait for the chopper to come and ream them. They think using large amounts of enemies is "cool" in their scripted scenes, but in reality, it just makes you think, how can 1 man dragging another man through a wide-open grassy field, while being fired upon by 30 men just 100ft away, NOT get ventilated? The suspension of belief is just too much. As early as the second level you see a snowmobile flying off a flat edge...and for some reason, travels UPWARD and over a 40ft chasm. They couldn't at least place a ramp at the bottom? They didn't think it was necessary apparently, they just decided to depend on your suspension of belief instead. Also, it's really fortunate that everybody in a snowmobile or raft wants to be polite, they all wait until they drive in front of you before they start shooting. It's just unfortunate for them that you can lazily wave your mini-uzi around in their general direction with one hand and hit 5 people in one sweep while bouncing across the water. Even an action movie doesn't ask you to suspend your belief that far.

However, since you've played all the prior call of duty games, I understand that you'd to expect infinite spawn since all the previous ones have had it. However during this iteration they actually removed the infinite spawn points because people were so annoyed by them. If you try it again and just peck at the bad guys long enough, they stop coming. It's not infinite enemies, just a lot of them. Veteran mode is actually quite a bit easier this time because you're able to just sit and peck at the enemies until they're all cleared away, which doesn't work in earlier Call of Duty games.

definitely agree on the snowmobile level... that was just laughable. And it didn't feel like it controlled right either. Plus with whats-his-face yelling all the time, it felt cheesy. For some reason, I kept thinking N64 Goldeneye when playing that section... don't know why. I loved MW1 - the sniper level, the AC-130, the iraq section, hell - even the end. But this just doesn't quite do it :(

MW2 felt like you were playing in a cliche war movie full of cliche dialogue and with zero attachment to the characters, plot, or what was going on.

If you find that entertaining, I'm happy for you, but some of us expect bigger and better things from supposed "Games of the Year."

MW2 felt like you were playing in a cliche war movie full of cliche dialogue and with zero attachment to the characters, plot, or what was going on.

If you find that entertaining, I'm happy for you, but some of us expect bigger and better things from supposed "Games of the Year."

Games are becoming such crap these days, MW2 is actually one of the good ones.

If you look at what Dragon Age gets for reviews, it is just sad.

The wait to Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2 can not be over fast enough.

I still can't believe it won GOTY, I was hoping Uncharted 2 would win.

Uncharted 2 got GOTY from X-play, Gametrailers, Giant Bomb, Metacritic and VGChartz that I know of. I was surprised when Gamespot gave Demon's Souls GOTY but they deserve it. As for MW2? I haven't heard of them getting GOTY but that doesn't mean it didn't happen.

Games are becoming such crap these days, MW2 is actually one of the good ones.

If you look at what Dragon Age gets for reviews, it is just sad.

The wait to Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2 can not be over fast enough.

You didn't like DA?

Uncharted 2 did get GOTY from Spike TV VGAs unless you are talking about a different GOTY

My mistake, disregard my previous comment. I swear gametrailers.com gave GOTY to MW2.

bashing MW2 is gettin old and all but damn - I finished the SP campaign and was just like...

"that's it??" awwwww

I've been trying really hard not to jump on the MW2 bashing bandwagon and so far with the multiplayer, I'm pretty satisfied...

but yea - the single player left a little to be desired

bashing MW2 is gettin old and all but damn - I finished the SP campaign and was just like...

"that's it??" awwwww

I've been trying really hard not to jump on the MW2 bashing bandwagon and so far with the multiplayer, I'm pretty satisfied...

but yea - the single player left a little to be desired

It's hard NOT to be on the bashing wagon. I played since day 1 and there were a TON of glitches. After the patch, it's a little more bearable, but there are still some balancing issues that could be addressed. Additionally, you'll run into boosters and "hacked" rooms.

It's hard NOT to be on the bashing wagon. I played since day 1 and there were a TON of glitches. After the patch, it's a little more bearable, but there are still some balancing issues that could be addressed. Additionally, you'll run into boosters and "hacked" rooms.
yea. I try my best to just leave rooms w/ hackjobs in there. but it's so hard with this matchmaking system.

I leave a room cuz some dood is hacking... go to join another S&D game for instance... and because of ping etc, I get dropped into the same room... repeatedly :<
ugh.

so yea - agreed... hard not to gripe.

Discussing video games on a video game forum? :eek: Kids these days.... :mad:

:D nice

edit:

You played Daikatana!? :O

Are you guys serious right now? Its a game just that get over it

get-out-of-here-stalker.jpg

I haven't played the SP on most of the previous CODs but I really like it in this one. I found it to be extremely immersive, and sure there are more than a few times that the situations are ridiculous but I still found it fun overall.

I didn't notice any infinite spawn points though, usually a group would come from on region and once you kill them all they're done.

Back