MW2 FPS capped?

Uber-Tuber

n00b
Using a 5870 with COD MW2. No matter what I do the graphics look the same (1024 vs. 1920) and the frame rate is stuck at 91 FPS (over clocked and under clocked my cpu and video card). It appears they may have capped the frame rate at 91. Has anyone else experienced this or am I missing something. BF/BC2 has way better graphics and I can run 200+ FPS without breaking a sweat.

Thx.

Blair

The Call of Duty 2 engine has always been capped at 91, theres nothing wrong with your video card.

That is a call of duty thing, in past games you could use the console and enter /com_maxfps <number> but thanks to console ports....

Ok thanks, nice to know I'm not crazy. Ya I tried the console thing... actually it's a config file now and they've removed the fps setting.

What's the point of this? Even the playing field for people with slower equipment? I just dropped a ton of cash on my new machine to play MW2 and it plays the same as my old box.

Ok thanks, nice to know I'm not crazy. Ya I tried the console thing... actually it's a config file now and they've removed the fps setting.

What's the point of this? Even the playing field for people with slower equipment? I just dropped a ton of cash on my new machine to play MW2 and it plays the same as my old box.

its more to balance out multiplayer and the Anti-lag software used.. so say one guy is running 150 fps and your running 60fps.. the anti lag has to sit there and balance out the difference.. 9 times out of 10 the guy with 150fps will win the 1 on 1 match.. the one game this was very noticable in was RTCW:ET because of the quake 3 engine there was a lot of little tricks with setting your frame rate to certain settings to gain an advantage.. so from then on game devs started capping frame rates..

if your seeing the same frame rate then max out your settings.. why you even bothered to build a system for a game running a 4 year old gaming engine is your mistake.. ya cant blame the game devs for it.. everyone knew that MW2 was built from the COD4 engine.. all they did was update the textures.. but underneath it all its the same exact cod4 game.. its why all the cheats, all the console commands(if you hack the game to unlock the console) are exactly the same..

It's to do with IW/Activision wanting you to play a console game on PC. They want it to be "user friendly" I guess.

as much as people keep saying its a console game.. IT IS NOT.. its the same exact COD4 game.. just because they removed the console does not mean its a console game.. they did this on purpose in hopes to stop the cheaters.. but what they failed to do was completely remove the code from the game just like they failed to remove the code for dedicated servers.. but like i said above MW2 is literally COD4 with updated textures.. nothing in the game has changed from COD4 thus mw2 is not a ported console game..

Ironic that they removed the console to stop the cheaters when the console has commands to kick players. lol.

thats because they moved to a P2P hosting.. you cant kick some one in P2P hosting because it will desync the entire server unless the person has a connection problem.. but yeah i agree.. its why MW2 is falling apart on PC..

Seriously? You can see a noticeable difference between 100 and 200 fps?

if some one can then they must be blind or something.. lol because it would make the game look worse not better unless they had a monitor that could display 200fps.. but if your refering to what i was talking about with the frame rate cap.. theres an old glitch in the quake 3 engine where if you ran 4 specific settings.. i think the first two were 33fps, 127fps and i cant remember the last 2 they gave you the ability to jump further.. and it also screwed with the anti-lag system in a lot of games that used the engine to give you an unfair advantage..

thats because they moved to a P2P hosting.. you cant kick some one in P2P hosting because it will desync the entire server unless the person has a connection problem.. but yeah i agree.. its why MW2 is falling apart on PC..

if some one can then they must be blind or something.. lol because it would make the game look worse not better unless they had a monitor that could display 200fps.. but if your refering to what i was talking about with the frame rate cap.. theres an old glitch in the quake 3 engine where if you ran 4 specific settings.. i think the first two were 33fps, 127fps and i cant remember the last 2 they gave you the ability to jump further.. and it also screwed with the anti-lag system in a lot of games that used the engine to give you an unfair advantage..

Q2 had the thing where fps affected network performance. Q3 it didn't. Optimal Q3 com_maxfps was 125 for jumping. mm, good memories. Spent many hours playing Q3A/RA3

That is a call of duty thing, in past games you could use the console and enter /com_maxfps <number> but thanks to console ports....

Yep, if we had the console available to us we'd be able to change that easily, it's what happens when you buy a heavily consolized PC game.

Q2 had the thing where fps affected network performance. Q3 it didn't. Optimal Q3 com_maxfps was 125 for jumping. mm, good memories. Spent many hours playing Q3A/RA3

That would imply that MW2's still using the template from the Q3 engine.

That would imply that MW2's still using the template from the Q3 engine.

That's because it does. It uses the q3 engine which debuted in nov 1999. Heavily modified but but still the same engine. All the same cvar commands work etc.

Back