MV8 and Unraid

I just ordered an mv8 card with two break out cables for 8 hdd's.

I am wanting to get unraid, I like the idea of it. since I have a number of 500, 1000 and 2000 gb hdd's. this will allow me to easily upgrade asI can buy new 2tb's :)

Question:
Will unraid support the mv8 card out of the box?

Thanks

UnRAID is Linux based, isn't it?

I did hear alot of bad stuff about MV8 controller on Linux, and on FreeBSD as well. It appears to work well on Windows but not much other OS. Though it 'should' work there appear to be lots of driver issues and potentially firmware bugs.

Have you looked for any UnRAID users with this controller? Is it still possible for you to switch the controller? For example LSI 1068E chip would be great, and works under all OS. Examples are SuperMicro USAS-L8i and Intel SASUC8i.

i had thought of others but the mv8 has great bang for the buck

only reason I want unraid is so I can use something with a bit of single drive redundancy. annnnd allow me to use my 500's with my 2tb's and when I need to pull the 500's I can pop in a 2tb.

WHS would be ideal but it offers no protection short of 1-1 copying.. = double the needed drives.

Have you looked at ZFS? If you want something reliable while still doing 'raid5' then this would be an excellent choice. ZFS versions 13, 14 and 15 are the ones to look for; no others! These are the 'production-quality' releases at this moment.

Oh and the SuperMicro USAS-L8i should sell for around the same price as SASLP-MV8 - 105 euro or something was mine, but i got it rather cheap. Should normally sell for 125 i think. The Intel SASUC8i is a bit more expensive tho, around 150 euro.

Flex-RAID is the same as unRAID, just more flexible, and OS-independent.

It's also free.

i was looking at flexraid. it had confused me a bit. Does it run on an os and simply bypasses the windows drive manager?

I had tried playing with the webui a bit. but theres nothing there lol. I musta done something wrong.

Sub.mesa
I am aware of zfs but don't think it allows the easy drive expansion/replacement unraid does. I wan't to be able to mix drive sizes and easily upgrade a single drive. unraid allows this. easily

Back