Must reactivate Vista64 ? Why ?

Zorachus

[H]F Junkie
I built the system in my signature back in February, and it has worked really well for me :)

Well a few days the ago I noticed the activate icon in the tray and I was like WTF is that for, I activated it the day I installed the OS through the internet, it was the Vista64 Ultimate OEM DvD from Tiger Direct.

Well now I turn the system on and I can't even fucking get onto the desktop it says "This is copy of Windows is not genuine" :mad: Must activate now, I tried the serial number on the DvD case and it says it is no good, and then I call Microshaft get put on hold and then a hang up, I call again go through the automated process which takes all day and still nothing......Says "the product key you typed is already in use, to activate Windows you will need another Windows Vista Ultimate key".

I actually had this happen to me as well, about three weeks after I had installed Vista. I know just entering my serial again did not work, but activation over the phone did.

..and then I call Microshaft get put on hold and then a hang up, I call again go through the automated process which takes all day and still nothing......Says "the product key you typed is already in use, to activate Windows you will need another Windows Vista Ultimate key".

Sucks to be you. Try calling at a different time of day, when the lines aren't so busy. I've never had to wait on hold more than about five minutes, tops.

If automatic online activation fails then automatic telephone activation will fail too. Thats's only to be expected. Automatic telephone activation is really only an alternative for the people whose system isn't internet connected. But when the automatic telephone activation fails you get transferred to a call center person, and you'll get it activated manually.

I've no idea why activation was triggered on your machine. There'll definitiely be an explanation, and it'll have something to do with system configuration changes. My own installation got 'triggered' after I replaced an IDE burner with a SATA burner, and stuffed around enabling and disabling SATA controllers in an effort to get the burner and all my drives working properly.

Sucks to be you. Try calling at a different time of day, when the lines aren't so busy. I've never had to wait on hold more than about five minutes, tops.

If automatic online activation fails then automatic telephone activation will fail too. Thats's only to be expected. Automatic telephone activation is really only an alternative for the people whose system isn't internet connected. But when the automatic telephone activation fails you get transferred to a call center person, and you'll get it activated manually.

I've no idea why activation was triggered on your machine. There'll definitiely be an explanation, and it'll have something to do with system configuration changes. My own installation got 'triggered' after I replaced an IDE burner with a SATA burner, and stuffed around enabling and disabling SATA controllers in an effort to get the burner and all my drives working properly.

Thank's now I remember why it activated, there was a new nVidia SATA driver found by WindowsUpdate which I installed and ever since then it came up :)......I got through to Bindia and they helped me activate

I'd definitely like to see the validation/activation checks improve with respect to drives and controllers, but people shouldn't really get too upset about seeing them occur. It's not that big a deal, really.

I'm only guessing here, but it seems to me that Microsoft have made an effort to ensure that reactivation is 'forced' when the Windows installation is put onto a different hard drive. That's reasonable enough, but the trouble is that installing device drivers for the drive controller, or enabling/disabling drive controllers, makes it appear that Windows has been actually moved to a different drive. That's a hiccup indeed, and one we'd hope will be resolved at some point in the future.

Back