Must Have Case Modding Tools

dmw16

Limp Gawd
I'd like to venture into case modding and I am wondering what tools are a must have?

I already have a dremel and a decent collection of wheels, but I am sure there are other things I need.

Maybe tools to disassemble power connectors to allow for sleeving? Tools to do basic shaping of aluminum sheet?

Thanks.

A really good drill is certainly a nice start (good amount of torque) and a good collection of decent drillbits, as well as a rotary tool (which you already have). A holesaw is a good thing to have as well. I'd start small and practice on 'garbage' cases like freebees and throwaways, etc.

Good luck!

Things that made my life easier...

1. Nibbler
2. Molex pin extractor
3. ATX removal tool
4. Flex shaft attachment for dremel - make sure it's compatible with your model.

Anything you would use a nibbler for you can use the dremel instead. It's just handy to have for straight lines, small spaces, and you don't have to worry about metal shavings everywhere.

For #2 and #3 there are a ton of different tools but I found these to be the easiest to use. For the molex pin remover you can roll a piece of cardboard...for the ATX pins you can use a bent staple.

The flex shaft attachment just gives you a lot more flexibility (literally).

p.s. a decent pair of safety goggles. The crappy suck-to-your-face ones make your modding experience miserable.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
1. Dremel tool without a doubt.
2. Small needle nose pillars
3. Nice sharp dikes
4. Wire stripers
5. Good quality soldering iron and solder.
6. Wire shrink wrap
7. Super glue
8. Tape measure. Measure twice, cut once ;)

Dremal with thin, large and reinforced cutting wheels, grinding attachment.
Heat gun
Very sharp wire cutters / strippers
Tin snips
Needle nose plyers
Telescoping little magnet thing
Screwdriver set. Super small to Big
Scale Ruler. ruler used by architects, best purchase i ever made.
Protractor and L ruler for 90 degree cuts
Super glue
Permanent marker
Painters tape
Metal and Plastic drill bits & drill
Good quality soldering iron and solder.

Files... I use files more than any other tool when I mod. A good jigsaw and a good assortment of blades is also handy to have, it's a lot quicker than a rotary tool for large cuts. I wrote a guide on my site a while back about the tools I used when modding, maybe it can help.

nothing beats a good file.... for everything from deburring a fresh cut edge on metal to adjusting a holes position.....

Back