• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Must have Apps for Android

Did someone say dropbox? :D http://db.tt/f7aFzrg

Miren browser

K-9 mail

Go SMS

Go Contacts

Launcher Pro

SetCPU

Wigetsoid

FolderOrganizer

Beautiful Widgets

Tweetdeck

PowerAMP music player

Vitalplayer

And all the emulators!
 
My can't do without:

ADW Launcher Ex
SetCPU
Privacy Blocker
Droidwall
Circle Launcher
 
Adobe Reader (open to better alternatives. I just grabbed this one cause I needed a trustworthy reader asap at the time)
Amazon Kindle
AndroidVNC
Angry Birds
ArcMedia
ASTRO file manager
Bookmarks to SD
ColorNote
ConnectBot
ConvertPad
Dolphin HD
Fancy Widget
Tiny Flashlight
GasBuddy
All the 'noid emulators (Genesoid, Gameboid, Nesoid, etc.)
GPS Test
IMDB
Last.fm
Linpack
Moviefone
Newegg
Onion News Network
Pandora
PDANet
Photobucket
PowerAMP
PRemoteDroid
Pricegrabber
Privacy Blocker
QQ Player
Quadrant
ROM Gripper
Scanlife
SetCPU
Shazam
ShootMe
Skype
Spare Parts
Speed Test
StopWatch & Timer
Weather Channel
Titanium Backup
VPlayer
Wifi Analyzer
Wireless Tether
WoL Wake On Lan Wan
XDA Premium
Zedge

I used to use Handcent but its not playing nice on the latest midNIGHT ROM. From what I can tell since its a BYOR I have to put it into the ROM before flashing. So until I get around to re-flashing, I'm just using Go SMS.
 
My favorite Launcher so far is "Zeam". very lightweight and has the ability to have up to 7 home screens.
 
Alot of good apps listed
Some of the mention apps require root access for some that may not know
Ill throw my vote in for no task killer needed for anything above 1.6
ADW EX Launcher
Handcent or GO SMS
Wireless Tether for Root Users
Foursquare
PowerAMP Music Player
Fuzzy Clock

I could list tons actually
 
if anyone cares, winamp syncing for mac/pc works with the stock android music player, so you dont need the winamp player on your phone for the computer software to work, it is a good player though. some reason, while I'm playing music with winamp player, the stock player randomly decides to start playing music, so I have two songs going at once, its pretty annoying, only reason I'm not using winamp. I cant remove the stock player
 
Thanks for this tip, enjoying this a lot more than the standard launcher on my optimus v.

Ditto here. Launcher Pro seemed like way more tinkering than I wanted to do, this is just right.
 
Comvoice just released an app for their VoIP service. Released first on Android, the iPhone is "coming soon" which is refreshing to see.
 
I want Caribou

I use power amp all day every day

I keep Wheres My Droid at the ready

And I use Titanium Backup because a load a new kernel/theme/rom weekly.

Do NOT use Task Killers unless you are on Android 1.6
 
Last edited:
I'm a fan of Zeam myself

To me, there was no point anymore once I saw it was no longer being worked on. I actually would have stuck with it for the foreseeable future because it seemed to work well except the nasty bug where the bottom icons reset on every boot.
 
Just replaced Launcher Pro with Go Launcher Ex and Colorizer Widgets. Essentially Go Launcher has every feature of Launcher Pro except the widgets, but does everything better.

Pros of Go Launcher:
awesome folders
ability to sort the app launcher
easy to rearrange the home screens
easy way to setup folders (way easier than simi folder or app organizer)
easy way to use custom icons anywhere (no more need for desktop visualizer)

I stayed with and paid for Launcher Pro because it has the best widgets (and still does), but Colorizer comes close enough (if only there was a honeycomb theme for it, it'd be perfect).

Go Launcher Ex is getting updated very frequently and in fact is getting an update tomorrow that will include widgets along with other improvements which hopefully bring it closer to perfection.
 
what's the best music and video player for an android in everyones opinion, free of course :)
 
what's the best music and video player for an android in everyones opinion, free of course :)

Music player? Power Amp. Free for two weeks, completely worth $5 afterwards.

I don't use mine to watch videos. You won't get more than a few hours watching full length movies on you phone, and at 4"?. There's no way. The youtube and flash embedded video works just fine for two minute quickies.
 
not really worried about power saving when I watch movies at work I am plugged in.
 
not really worried about power saving when I watch movies at work I am plugged in.

watch movies at work

yes, i wont comment further except to say.....when you have enough time to watch movies at work you need to think about life and who the hell wants to watcha movie on a 4" screen, on a 7" Tab I could see......but a 4" phone? your use probably represents less than .25% so dont expect any huge apps to be catering to movie playback, the default android movie player is more than enough to handle the sad 4" movie format anyways
 
watch movies at work

yes, i wont comment further except to say.....when you have enough time to watch movies at work you need to think about life and who the hell wants to watcha movie on a 4" screen, on a 7" Tab I could see......but a 4" phone? your use probably represents less than .25% so dont expect any huge apps to be catering to movie playback, the default android movie player is more than enough to handle the sad 4" movie format anyways
I watch the vast majority of shows and movies on my phone and it does a damn fine job doing it.

As for your comment on only getting a few hours of video out of your device.....phones like the Galaxy S have great battery life:
http://blog.gsmarena.com/samsung-i9...ours-of-video-playback-puts-critics-to-shame/
 
To keep with the thread, just found the xbmc remote, silly thing to change my life, but before I almost always just mounted my server/media drives and watched them on my computer because I didn't have a remote.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah... uh, back on topic :p
My two most recent games for the droid are "pewpew" and rocket bunnies. Both quite entertaining :D
I also found a fantastic widget/app called "LED Light" that allows me to use my led flash as a flashlight.
 
I watch the vast majority of shows and movies on my phone and it does a damn fine job doing it.

As for your comment on only getting a few hours of video out of your device.....phones like the Galaxy S have great battery life:
http://blog.gsmarena.com/samsung-i9...ours-of-video-playback-puts-critics-to-shame/

Take a look at my signature :)

I know what batteru life is on this phone watching video. Full length films would kill the GalaxyS battery in under 6 hours I would say.
 
watch movies at work

yes, i wont comment further except to say.....when you have enough time to watch movies at work you need to think about life and who the hell wants to watcha movie on a 4" screen, on a 7" Tab I could see......but a 4" phone? your use probably represents less than .25% so dont expect any huge apps to be catering to movie playback, the default android movie player is more than enough to handle the sad 4" movie format anyways

Was that really necessary?? He was asking for a recommended video player app.
 
Timeriffic is simply awesome, especially if you have a fairly set schedule.

I use it to turn everything down to zero volume at 10:45 at night except for my alarm.
At 6:30 am everything is on 100% loudness.
At 7:15 it turns my bluetooth (to pair with my car stereo because thats when I leave the house, and it turns my WIFI off.
At 7:45 when I get to work it tuns my ringer volume to 25% and my multimedia volume to 40%.
At 11:15 bluetooth back on everything to 100% volume (lunch time)
Everything back to my 7:45 settings at 12:30 (back from lunch)
5 pm it goes to 100% on everything bluetooth on
5:15 WIFI on and bluetooth of.
10:45 the cycle starts all over again.

I set this up one time and the program takes care of the rest everyday. I almost never have to touch the volume or WIFI buttons on my phone.

Twonky Mobile is effing awesome for streaming your pics, vids and music to your XBOX.
 
MUST have apps for everyone.
ROOT (not an app,but needs to be done)
A root file explorer of sorts
Titanium backup with dropbox support
Droidwall
SD Speed boost (I got a nice 50% increase in read speed to 47 MB/s from 30 MB/s on my internal memory - Galaxy Tab). Write stayed the same.
Skype
Appmonster Pro
App2SD
Startup Auditor (very useful with stock ROMS)
A new browser (I like Opera mini)
WiFi File Explorer (I prefer the Pro version. Worth every penny.)
SWYPE (if you are on Android 2.1 or older. 2.2+ apparently has it built in.)

Very nice apps to have (although not critical)
Linpack
Quadrant
SD Tools
Logmein Ignition
Android System info
Speedtest
Wolfram Alpha
Wikidroid
Camera360 Ultimate
Amazon Kindle reader
Memo/Notepad
Tapatalk
Tunein Radio
Applanet (hey its out there.... If you like an App, Buy it.)
Free music download
Adfree (saves a TON of data)
Quickoffice
CamCard
ezPDF reader
QR Droid

Games
Angry Birds (say what you like, it kills a few minutes)
Andoku
 
I think everything else has been mentioned, so my list is short.

FuelLog - Used for tracking your car's gas mileage and associated costs.
JuiceDefender - Helps extend battery life.
WiFi Analyzer - Pretty self-explanatory.
TuneIn Radio - One of those "HD radio" apps, helps you find all your local stations (Clear Channel aside) and the extra ones that are only available on the digital band.
 
I just love the people poo-pooing ATK and other task killer apps. The truth is a good task killer (like the de-facto ATK) can be a useful utility when used properly.

In a perfect world every Android application would be perfectly behaved and adhere to the memory management 'rules' that are layed out in that (god awfully written) Lifehacker article. Guess what boys and girls, this isn't a perfect world and there are a lot of Android applications that are poorly written at best.

No, in most cases ATK or any other task killer isn't going to speed up your phone. However when you have a poorly written game that doesn't close properly and instead sits in the background eating up CPU cycles in a locked-up state where even the OS itself can't seem to close it, ATK can be a great asset. For instance - the Android game 'Raging Thunder', while being a nice 3D racer (hey, it keeps the kids quiet) has an alarming knack for not shutting down properly and in fact it will remain running in the background playing the damned music from the game - and there's no way you can tell me if it's piping out music it's not eating cpu timeslices. Being able to pop into ATK and snuff that sucker out sure beats the hell out of having to navigate into menu -> settings -> Applications - Manage Applications -> Running applications - (Find the damned App name while you wait for the list to populate) -> Force Close.

And there are a lot of applications/games that behave just as poorly. So I say feel free to use ATK - just use it in a knowledgeable manner.
 
Back
Top