Music on Linux?

Carlosinfl

Loves the juice
I put in a CD with my backup (legal) MP3's and can't understand how to listen to them or save them to my /home/carlos/MP3 directory?

The CD I put in is auto mounted from Fedora Core 3 and starts loading the tracks in a program called CD Player in Gnome. I can't hear any audio coming from this utility but it sees all the MP3's on the disk and sees their names.

I have XMMS installed and I tell it to look for files in the /media/cdrecorder directory and it sees that as an empty directory..??? How can one program see the files and not another?

I want to listen to all my music on XMMS and I would like to take all my backup files on disk and move them to the directory and I can't seem to understand how to do either of those tasks in Linux.

What is the directory that all the files are on when I put a media CD in my one and only cd /dvd burner? I thought it was /dev/cdrom but that dir does not exisit so then I was told it is /media/cdrecorder but XMMS does not find anything there and neither does nautilus.

Please help

its wherever it gets mounted to, usually mnt/somewhere, but ive never used fedora so i dont know. Once you figure out where its mounted you can just drag and drop the files to your hard disk, then just point xmms at them there.

When the CD is automounted, open a terminal and type mount to get a list of what's mounted where.
It's on the format "device on mountpoint type filesystem (settings)". The mountpoint is the directory you want. (You should be able to guess which line is the right one.)

Code:
[carlos@server ~]$ mount
/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00 on / type ext3 (rw)
none on /proc type proc (rw)
none on /sys type sysfs (rw)
none on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620)
usbfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)
/dev/sda1 on /boot type ext3 (rw)
none on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
none on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw)
sunrpc on /var/lib/nfs/rpc_pipefs type rpc_pipefs (rw)

I have no idea which one it is...??? :confused:

Err ... funky. None of them, actually. I suspect the gnome automounter does some very strange things behind the scenes. (Yet another reason I don't use gnome. )

You could, of course, try the old-fashioned way:
First, unmount it in gnome (if possible.)
mkdir /cdrom
mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /cdrom
You should find your files in /cdrom .

How do I manuall unmount it in gnome? And do I just make (mkdir) /cdrom or is that a sub dir of another directory?

Unmount in gnome? I don't know, but I suspect you can right-click the relevant icon. If you can't find any way to do it, just skip it.

If you do "mkdir /cdrom" it will end up in the root directory.
("/" is the absolute bottom of the filesystem, one step furter up than "c:\" in windows, so "/cdrom" means "the folder cdrom in the root directory", kind of like how "c:\cdrom" is an absolute path in windows.)

:confused:

Code:
[root@server carlos]# mkdir /cdrom
[root@server carlos]# mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /cdrom
mount: block device /dev/cdrom is write-protected, mounting read-only
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/cdrom,
       or too many mounted file systems

I have XMMS installed and I have a few MP3's saved to a MP# directory and they play fine. XMMS is the only thing I have ever used to play MP3's. I just want to take these MP3's off the CDROM and place them in the MP3 directory but for some stupid reason, when I right click the audio cd icon that is present when the CD is mounted, I can select open or browse folder. They both start the CDPLAYER program which is mute. I really don't care because I dont use CDPLAYER to listen to mp3's. I just want to browse the CD, move the files to a local dir and tell XMMS to play them and this is very frustrating for some reason.

Are you sure this disc was burned as a data CD with MP3s on it? Some CD burning software will automatically convert MP3s to burn them as an Audio CD.

hhunt: the gnome automounter does nothing funky, it simply catches the insertion of the CD as notified by dbus and mounts it perfectly normally. It's not working in this case; if it were, there'd be a perfectly normal-looking line for it in the mount output. I'm not sure, but I'm voting with the audio CD here. dmesg output would help.

AdamW said:
hhunt: the gnome automounter does nothing funky, it simply catches the insertion of the CD as notified by dbus and mounts it perfectly normally. It's not working in this case; if it were, there'd be a perfectly normal-looking line for it in the mount output. I'm not sure, but I'm voting with the audio CD here. dmesg output would help.

Ah, well. Haven't used it, and I like making broad and unfounded negative claims about gnome. :D
With that cleared up: Try looking at the output of mount again, while it's picked up by gnome.

carloswill said:
:confused:

Code:
[root@server carlos]# mkdir /cdrom
[root@server carlos]# mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /cdrom
mount: block device /dev/cdrom is write-protected, mounting read-only
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/cdrom,
       or too many mounted file systems

As root again, issue:
Code:
umount /dev/cdrom
mount -t  iso9660 /dev/hdc1 /cdrom

Where /dev/hdc1 is the where your cdrom is on the IDE.
hda = primary master
hdb = primary slave
hdc = secondary master
hdd = secondary slave
and so on if you have more than 2 IDE channels

Is the CD multi-session? If so, was it finallised?

Yes Yes Yes - REDHAT and FEDORA does not nativley support MP3's. I have downloaded the XMMS plugin to support MP3's.

I had this same exact problem before.

The culprit was the little audio cable that's suppose to connect my cdrom to my sound card was not connected. I plugged it in, and voila!

Maybe, but my original response was to:

carloswill said:
The CD I put in is auto mounted from Fedora Core 3 and starts loading the tracks in a program called CD Player in Gnome. I can't hear any audio coming from this utility but it sees all the MP3's on the disk and sees their names.

Unlike Windows ME and higher, *nix doesn't use the digital IDE interface to play audio CDs, they depend on the audio cable being connected.

Tomahawk said:
Maybe, but my original response was to:

Unlike Windows ME and higher, *nix doesn't use the digital IDE interface to play audio CDs, they depend on the audio cable being connected.

Not quite true. Most of the players on *nix don't use the digital IDE interface, but xmms can with the right plugin, and Totem also uses the digital IDE interface.

...as does anything using gstreamer, for e.g. goobox. mplayer can do it too, mplayer cdda:// .

Back