Music/MP3 organization

drdeutsch

2[H]4U
Okay, I did a search and didn't find anything quite like what I was looking for, so here goes.

I'm in the process of tagging my MP3s... about 9000 total. I'm using ID3 Tagit for various albums (Freedb) and Musicbrainz for some of the harder/more eclectic/rare tracks, and I'm filling in the ID3 tags and renaming all the files to <artist>-<album>-<track>-<title>, but now that I've gone through many many folders, I'm finding duplicate tracks and some tracks are getting misplaced.

A lot of my MP3s are organized in folders according to a Artist/Album/ hierarchy, so I'm looking for a program to go through My Music folder, analyze the ID3 tags, and place all MP3s into the appropriate folder..... does any such miracle program exist or do I basically have to do it by hand?

Thanks,
drdeutsch

Windows Explorer. That'll teach you to let them get disorganized ;)

Mine are so organized, it would make you throw up.

How much RAM do you have? Though I love the app, does id3tagit take a while to save sometimes?

I tag as follows (no album name - that can stay in the tag if need be):

Artist1 & Artist2 feat. Guest Artist - Track Title (This Remix)
Artist - Club Where Set Was Played (City) 01Month06

I'm very anal about this shit (no pun intended!)

I have 2 gigs of RAM and an X2 4400. ID3 Tagit does a pretty speedy job, unless there are 20+ titles in the album. If I lookup the entire album with freedb query and then tag them and rename them, then it may take 3 seconds or so to write all the new filesnames and save them, but it's pretty speedy.

I'd really like to organize them as Artist/Album (Year)/Artist-Album-Track #-Title.mp3 and Soundtracks/Movie/Artist-Movie-Track-Title.mp3 for soundtracks.

Eh... well... I need a good summer project, maybe, so this will give me one.

drdeutsch

Back