Music Malady: How to play *.mus files?!

starhawk

[H]F Junkie
First off, sorry I'm not on here more often... just sort of moved on, I guess... anyhow, I had a question and thought I'd post it here, since I know that there's gotta be *someone* on here who'll know ;)

I've got this absolutely fricking ancient game called TYRIAN 2000 (think DOS 7.0 ancient) that has a couple of *.mus files that I'd like to be able to play. I did some research and found that there is this "sidplayer" thing that is supposed to be able to do it. Unfortunately, sidplayer just doesn't work and I don't know why... I'm a hardware person, not a software person (which you know if you're one of the people who helped me on those C++ programs :D )

So does anyone know if there's a music player out there that'll work for those old files? The files were used for old Commodore 64 and early DOS games (as were *.aud files), that's about all I know.

How about changing them to WAV? Looks like this will do it, although I havnt tried it:
Goldwave It's a fully functional trial, but for how long I cant find.
Its in the 'batch processing" options. Here's the settings at the bottom of the page:
.mus > .wav
If you try it, let me know if it works.

I'll try it as soon as class is over.

Edit: looks like it allows you to use it 3000 times before you have to buy it. I've got a feeling that the limit might be easy to remove, though, even though I've only got a vague concept of an approximation of the general idea of how to do it :D I won't say anything further on the subject due to forum rules.

Edit2: Hmmm... it's being a little stubborn. Maybe I need a plugin that I don't have :confused: Ah, well, let's hope their technical support's up to it...

Edit3: Oh... duuuuuh. I don't suppose anyone on here has a free coupon for getting brains implanted? :D I seem to be missing mine.

Well... it *worked*... sort of. It appears that music.mus isn't the file that I'm looking for. It just squeaks. Guess what I'll have to do is use Tyrian's built-in jukebox and find a way to make it Alt-Tabbable. DOSBox should work.

Okay, folks, this thread can be closed. starhawk here is officially an utter moron.

I have a link in my bookmarks section to the download for that game. Guess what? You can get the music through there, too. In a format that WinAmp will play if you give it a little finagling (you need to get a copy of the AdPlug plugin).

So right now I'm listening to the music.

I think my IQ needs a recharge :rolleyes:

Heh......glad you got it, even if it was a different way. Link to the music? Now I'm curious.

I think I'll keep Goldwave for a while myself. Once and a while I need to do some converting, and I always end up using a different one each time because you usually only get like 20-30 conversions before the trial is up. I can deal with 3000! ;)

Back