Music Listener - What headphones?

viper11885

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey,

Was thinking about picking up a pair of headphones. Primary use will be music on the computer. The Sennheiser 497 is available on eBay for a good price ($46US). Are these good enough? Is there something else in this price range that I should be considering??

Thanks for your help.

I've got the 497s

They sound good but they're not the most comfortable set I've used. Nothing too major, but occasionally the pressure that they put on my ears (I've got big ears) can be irritating.

Overall though, I'm happy with them. I've gotten used to the fit and they rarely bother me enough to where I have to take them off.

Craftish said:
HD 580s are great if you have the money.
QFT. IMO the 497s are 3/4 as good as the 580s, main problem is the 497s sound a bit "dry". I own both.

saturnine2 said:
QFT. IMO the 497s are 3/4 as good as the 580s, main problem is the 497s sound a bit "dry". I own both.

Thanks for all the input :). I really appreciate it.

Is there any other that you would recommend for a similar price?

saturnine2 said:

Ummm when you say somthing sounds dry what do you mean?

I have never heard the HD280 Pro, but have heard great things about them. They are closed, meaning they will block some exterior noise. The Shure E2C is good, as long as you dont mind earphones. If you can save up a bit more and get the HD580s, you will not be disappointed. ;)

mc_P said:
Ummm when you say somthing sounds dry what do you mean?
I cant really describe it, they just dont sound as natural as the 580s. Maybe someone here could describe it better?

viper11885 said:
Is there any other that you would recommend for a similar price?
The HD497 is about as good as you'll get in the $50-$60 range. I own them and the 580's and will concur with the others. One tidbit i'll add in is the HD497 is a bargain for the high quality they deliver, and they don't need an amplifier unlike the more expensive models. BTW, try not to compare apples and oranges, a $50 set of headphones will have lower quality than a $300 set (less presence, sound seperation, etc). Either way the HD497's are immensley better than any of the typical <$40 headphones out there and you'll probably love em as i do.

saturnine2 said:

I wouldn't go that far, but the hd497's are good for the money

I've got the Sennheiser HD 570s and I really enjoy them. They produce extremely clear sound all the way around. They arn't boomy headphones but produce a nice rich sound.

If I were you i'd go to a stereo shop that sells them and has them on display so that you can go try them out. Different people have different preferences.

I really love mine.

I don't know if you'd consider Grado, they've got a different sound than Sennheiser (I've owned cans from both brands) but the SR60 is not out of your price range, the SR80 is a bit more but also worth looking in to IMO. I don't know how good the SR40 is, but that'd keep it under $50.

Thanks for all the info guys. I'll have a look at the other models mentioned and make a decision :)

the main reason i live for is video and sound quality. I recommend the HD280 Pros. Its a dj'ing headphone so you know its nice for music.

I would recommend either the Beyerdynamic DT 770(amped), Audiotechnica ATH-900s(unamped), or the Sony CD3000(amped!).

I find a lot of headphones are lacking in the bass department. The DT 700 is the undisputed bass king. Some say the bass is too much, but I like it that way. The Audiotechnica might be more balanced but has a lot less bass impact(which depending on what music you listen to, you need). The Sony CD3000 is the most balanced can I have ever heard...bass is there, highs/mids are there.

Keep in mind that a good set up will likely run you a few hundred for the cans and then some for the amp.

Stay away from Sennheiser HD590s! UUUUUUUUGH. Worst cans ever!

MaMMa said:
the main reason i live for is video and sound quality. I recommend the HD280 Pros. Its a dj'ing headphone so you know its nice for music.
Aren't those closed? blech

Djing doesn't necessarily mean its good for actual regular listening... just like a lot of people don't like to listen to music day to day on many studio monitors.

they are nice headphones. I use them to game, music and movies. There is plenty of bass boost to give u a head ache.

I used the 497s before getting the 555s and they're a great set of headphones. They are very sensitive and so even a low output source gives surprisingly good detail. I still use em as semi-portables because they are better suited for use with say, a pcdp than higher end, higher powered headphones.

Back