• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Music gets staticy when computer is working hard

ryanjg11

Gawd
Joined
Aug 16, 2002
Messages
772
I never had this problem with my P4 setup, but since I switched to an Abit NF7-S motherboard and AMD Barton 2500XP it seems whenever I'm playing mp3s or just about any audio is playing, when I do something that requires a litle bit of CPU usage, like opening a browser window or launching an application, my music temporarily becomes static'y. My sound card is an Audigy LS, but I have had this card for a long time in my P4 setup and never had these static problems... which leads me to think that it's not a sound card issue. Any ideas?
 
Update the Mobo drivers, sound card drivers, and mobo bios and whatnot.

It's worth a shot.
 
Most likely, a chipset driver issue. Also, make sure you have onboard audio disabled.
 
I have the same problem. It may have something to do with the nforce2 chipset, however I am using the onboard sound. I thought about purchasing an M-audio revolution to rectify the issue (and get better sound quality).
 
this happens on my amd as well but it doesn;t happen on my friends p4 wit hyper threading so maybe without hyper threading the comp cant process both things at once im not sure.:confused:
 
Originally posted by xbreaka
this happens on my amd as well but it doesn;t happen on my friends p4 wit hyper threading so maybe without hyper threading the comp cant process both things at once im not sure.:confused:

No that's BS. I've never had this problem with any other chipset and other CPU's w/o hyperthreading (athlon, pentium3). I've only noticed it with this particular setup (nforce2 + athlonxp).
 
check your speakers and sound card and make sure you're not getting some EMI (electro-magnetic interferance). This happened to a friend of mine, every time is HDD would start accessing, you could hear the clicking of the HDD arm on his crappy speakers.
 
Originally posted by Talonz
Most likely, a chipset driver issue. Also, make sure you have onboard audio disabled.

Onboard audio has been disabled the whole time.
 
Originally posted by ownerizer
check your speakers and sound card and make sure you're not getting some EMI (electro-magnetic interferance). This happened to a friend of mine, every time is HDD would start accessing, you could hear the clicking of the HDD arm on his crappy speakers.

I'm positive it's a motherboard or CPU issue, as my setup has remained EXACTLY the same (sound card, speakers, everything).
 
My last computer was a AXP and NF2 w/ SB Audigy 2 and I didnt have these problems...
 
Hi,

Check to see if your Harddrive(s) are in DMA mode. When I had mine on PIO mode, the music will skip constantly when I'm running the system at 100%.

- Goto Hardware Manager
- Go look at the properties of the IDE controller
- Check the Primary and Secondary channel

Good luck

-Thanks
 
I had this problem with my soundcard (old SB Live!) on my current setup (AMD 1.4 Tbird on Abit-KT7A) and it only seemed to happen when I reformatted and everything had default windows drivers.

As soon as I installed the proper driver that came with my soundcard (albeit outdated) the static stopped. I don't know if the same results will happen for you but it's worth a shot.
 
Back
Top