Music Downloads Grow Despite Lawsuits

HardOCP News

[H] News
According to this USA Today story, illegal file sharing is still growing despite all the lawsuits filed by the recording industry.

Despite success in suing people who download music illegally and in reaching deals with personal networking sites like YouTube, the music industry is still bleeding millions of dollars in sales to online piracy. It is a major issue for an industry that is desperately trying to boost revenue from legal downloads to make up for falling sales of Compact Discs, which declined 23% globally between 2000 to 2006.

the music industry is still bleeding millions of dollars in sales to online piracy

They always make it sound like people don't buy the disc because they've downloaded a song, when in many cases the people actually buy the disc AFTER downloading some songs (if they liked them, of course).

But if I couldn't download a song, that doesn't means that I would run to buy the disc -there's a lot of crap around anyway, and I don't want to waste my money on a disc that has only 1 or 2 tracks that I like.

What I mean is, pirated songs =! lost sales... for me, the main reason for the declining CD sales is the declining quality of the productions... and iTMS, of course.

When are they going to realize (or at least admit) that the only reason their sales were so high in the mid 1990s was because everyone was switching from records and tapes to CDs. The music industry will never see those kinds of sales figures again, unless they get a new format and convince people that it is a must have, the way they did with CDs.

And I agree that music today has become so cookie-cutter that nobody cares anymore. It is really telling that out of the twenty FM stations I can pick up that only 2 actually play current music. All the rest are playing stuff from the early 90s and earlier almost exclusively.

File sharing makes a good scapegoat to throw to the investors.

the music industry is still bleeding millions of dollars in sales to online piracy

Oh I just love that loaded line.

"bleeding" "millions of dollars" "online piracy"

Gimme a break :rolleyes: Perhaps if they started following more in line with itunes and offering songs based per song and not per album... then perhaps people would be interested.

Another possibility is that music is freakin' terrible right now and nobody want to buy the crap. The mid 80's thru the mid 90's were the days! :cool:

"bleeding" "millions of dollars" "online piracy"

That's the funniest line!!!

How can they be loosing money, when most people would never buy the CD to begin with? They only have it because it's available for downloading. I for one would never buy a CD with music on it, I have XM radio for that, I only download because it's there, illegal or not, it's right there all over the net. If anyone wants to stop piracy (in any form), start at the source (the Internet), not the guy downloading it.

Another possibility is that music is freakin' terrible right now and nobody want to buy the crap. The mid 80's thru the mid 90's were the days! :cool:
FACT! there is so much crap out there only made for a PR show and the all mighty dollar, too f'ing bad! and remembering its us canadians doing the most damage :D

These kinds of things make about as much sense as if someone said libraries should be shut down, because they are costing writers millions of dollars in sales...

Perhaps if it wernt for this DRM nonsense, people wouldnt feel so inclined to "steal" music and movies over P2P.

They always make it sound like people don't buy the disc because they've downloaded a song, when in many cases the people actually buy the disc AFTER downloading some songs (if they liked them, of course).

IMO that's changing somewhat with the growing popularity of the portable MP3 player. There's still a need for CDs for some people but, speaking for myself, I can live without CDs for the most part. Everything's on the iPod and with an adaptor (and a stereo that's worth a damn) I can play those tunes in my vehicle.

I still prefer and buy CDs "just because" but those one- and two-song purchases from iTunes are starting to creep in. I can see how filesharing would hurt sales.

The RIIA needs to catch up to the times and change their business model. It wouldn't bother me a bit if a bunch of artists got together in competition with the RIIA and put them in the poorhouse.

So where are the numbers for the increased ONLINE sales they've had since the year 2000? I'm pretty sure the increase in online sales far exceeds the losses they have in CD sales. They're only showing half the picture, which is typical of them.

Just think, if illegal downloads exceed actual sales figures, then the music industry will be posting a net loss. They'll go backrupt!

Back