Mushkin SSD boot drive no longer detected

x509

2[H]4U
I was swapping boot drives to try some experiments, and when I plugged in the SSD drive, the system would no longer boot. The BIOS no longer detects the drive. I swapped cables with a known good SATA cable. Same result. if I plug in the Test OS drive, the system boots fine.

Here's the weird part. On a different system, that SSD is detected and I can do copies and moves no problem. What's my next step?

windows 7 or 8 on the ssd? windows 8 won't necessarily show up as a drive, but windows boot manager. taking it out might have reset your bios to legacy instead of uefi.

windows 7 or 8 on the ssd? windows 8 won't necessarily show up as a drive, but windows boot manager. taking it out might have reset your bios to legacy instead of uefi.

Thanks. I hope you're right, because maybe that points the way to a solution.

To provide detail
1. BIOS does not detect the drive.
2. Boot partition is Windows 7 Pro 64, fully patched up.
3. I've done these switches before with no issue except that each time I add a drive that was previously removed, I have to do some configuration in the BOOT DRIVE part of the BIOS. (Board is ASUS X79. I forget the BIOS level but the system is extremely stable.

A friend of my just bought a Dell e6440 and was telling me he tried testing a mSata from another system. It wouldn't detect it at all. On a different conversation about setting up Windows on his new hdd I recommended to him to flash bios to latest and not forget to set sata mode to AHCI or Raidon (dells thing dunno but heard it's as good or better than AHCI). He came back to me a few days later and told me changing the sata mode allowed it to see the msata. I don't know why, but sharing my 2 experiences.

A friend of my just bought a Dell e6440 and was telling me he tried testing a mSata from another system. It wouldn't detect it at all. On a different conversation about setting up Windows on his new hdd I recommended to him to flash bios to latest and not forget to set sata mode to AHCI or Raidon (dells thing dunno but heard it's as good or better than AHCI). He came back to me a few days later and told me changing the sata mode allowed it to see the msata. I don't know why, but sharing my 2 experiences.

williamt31,

Thanks. In my case, my desktop system used to detect the SSD, and then it did not.

Back