mushkin ram kits

Skull_Angel

[H]ard|Gawd
hey guys, about to finish deciding on a final components list for some core parts (cpu/mobo/ram) and ran in to a slight stump when choosing the ram.

the kits in question are these two mushkin kits;

enhanced blackline 3x2gb 1600MHz - $140

enhanced blackline 3x2gb 1600MHz - $150

normally I'd go with the first kit and run it at 1.65v because it's more than likely they're the same kits, it's operating voltage range listed as 1.5~1.6 kinda made me scratch my head a bit. I know most ram will handle over-volting within the motherboard's safe limits well, I've just never used a kit that listed an operating range with an upper limit under that point.

basically, gogo first kit?

I think that means you can undervolt them to as low as 1.5v. But you'd have to test them yourself for stability at that voltage. Lower voltage means cooler ram.

The second set has tighter timings, which will likely require more voltage. The second set might be 1 or 2% faster. Get the ones you want and run them at the lowest voltage you can get by with and still run stable. Neither should get hot enough to be an issue at the rated voltage.

may be I should have mentioned that I don't plan to run at stock settings, lol. I'll probably still be pushing around 1600MHz, but I'll be trying to push for somewhere around 7-7-7 21 or better if I can get it running stable (call me a cheapass, but I'm not paying for higher timings if I can get it to do it safely myself, lol).

1.50V means the chips may have passed their manufacturer's testing.
1.6V and 1.65V means they definitely did not.

Back