Mumble Question

htpc_user

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jun 27, 2008
Messages
1,435
I installed Mumble on 3 of my computers today. I installed the server on my laptop at first. When I tested it out, I could hear myself coming through my son's PC speakers when I was talking on my main PC across the room. I had to put in the IP address of the computer that was running the server to connect to it. Thinking I had figured things out, I decided to install the Mumble server on my file server PC since it is hardwired to the network. I then connected all the PCs to that Mumble server, and although I can see the users are all connected, no one can hear me when I'm talking. Any ideas?
 
maybe a firewall setting if you still have windows firewall enabled on the file server. permissions. i would just go through the config and make sure it matches everything you had set on your laptop.
 
Does mumble have a local test option? Usually it's best to test that sound locally works first to rule out it being the mic or sound drivers or whatever, once that's confirmed then you need to troubleshoot the server/network.
 
Yeah, the mic works fine when I run the setup. I know that on both the laptop (XP) and the server (Win 7), I got a pop-up from the firewall asking to "Block" or "Unblock". I chose to unblock on both. I wish the Mumble server would use a GUI so you could get a better idea to what's going on.
 
Is it possible that your network connects to a router, and the port mumble uses is not open?

Windows sounds like it's going to allow mumble to work, after your popup, however the router/switch doesn't know it yet.
 
Turn on Expert Config options and set the Loopback Mode to "Server" under "Audio Output". If you can hear yourself talk while connected to the server, your network settings are fine and the problem is other users.
 
Alternately, it's like 2 dollars a month for a mumble server. I use nuclear fallout for my host, imo they are the pinnacle.
 
Back
Top