Multitask and Burn CD's?

roninblade

[H]ard|Gawd
Does burning CD's and playing BF2 or something simular effect the burning process and result in bad copys?

While modern drives try to compensate for buffer underrun, a whole video game is probably pushing it. It might be OK, and it might make a coaster anyhow.

so ur saying its fine to surf the web which doesnt use as much memory as a video game? because thats what i was thinking, thanks for the info

roninblade said:
so ur saying its fine to surf the web which doesnt use as much memory as a video game? because thats what i was thinking, thanks for the info

If you have an older burner, you might not want to try it.. but the newer ones have like 'Burn-proof', 'Tru-Burn'... or whatever technology where it can actually 'shut off' the laser while waiting for data (the old ones would just keep going, burning nothing to the disc and making a coaster)...

With my Lite-On 12x10x32(ish) CD-RW, (or the DVD-R burner) on my 2.8 GHz Pentium 4, 2 gigs ram I have no problem burning something and also playing a full screen game + listening to music, or watching a movie (2 monitors).. but as always, YRMV :)

you can multi task as long as you're not using an application that will put your CPU under high usage. Memory is not the main thing here like the above guy said, there's always virtual memory as well. But your CPU would obviously be SO busy with the game. so yes you can multi-task, open office, photoshop maybe, internet. but not a game which keeps your CPU busy at all times.

^^^
could you set the priority of the burning app (Nero) to high in the task manager?

roninblade said:
^^^
could you set the priority of the burning app (Nero) to high in the task manager?

You could, but it wouldn't make much difference. You can still do a bunch of stuff with your computer while burning, but just not pushing it too far is the safest and most effective precaution. If you do mess up a disk, it's only about 20¢ to burn another.

Back