Multisocket Opteron fans rejoice! 50% pricecut!

Wow, now would be a good time to upgrade to dual dual core CPU's. :cool: Though I will not likely spend any more money on this rig. I'll be building another one in about three months I think.

And to think I was about to get twin 265s at nearly $600 a pop. Sweet price drops :D

*whimper*
My customers are going to kill me.
... then again, now they can upgrade for a lot less.
My customers are going to love me!
...I hope.

It had to happen sooner or later, but yea, I feel cheated a bit. Oh well, goes with the territory. :(

Whoa.

Might have to grab a couple 265 to replace the 240's in my folding box.

....Whoa.

Yes... yes... yessssssssssssssssssss! :)

dual dual core here I comeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

I was just about to go single dual core because dual single core did not make sense for me, and dual dual core was just too expensive. But the 4GB memory limit on single dual core AMD was a road block.

Now dual dual core with plenty of memory support is coming my way sooner than I expected.

Sooo whats the hot ocing (capable) board for these beasts??? haha i should be able to pick a few up in a month or two...

weee

Well I got my 254's for a good price about 3 or 4 months ago. So I am happy. Though I haven't looked at what they are going to fall to.

Looks like AMD is making the 200's cost just a little bit more than the equivalent 100 series. Either yields must be doing well, or they're just trying to grab market share (probably a combination of both.)

I think they'll be trying to sell dual socket boards w/ a single 200 series now, and the ability to add an extra one later. Cost now will be a little bit more than a single socket board w/ 100 series, but with a much better upgrade path.

IanG said:
Looks like AMD is making the 200's cost just a little bit more than the equivalent 100 series. Either yields must be doing well, or they're just trying to grab market share (probably a combination of both.)

I think they'll be trying to sell dual socket boards w/ a single 200 series now, and the ability to add an extra one later. Cost now will be a little bit more than a single socket board w/ 100 series, but with a much better upgrade path.

Eh...I doubt this, at least on the highend boards, the ram is tied to the proc. On a $400'ish motherboard I had an opteron 150 (940, before 939 opterons existed) and it oculdn't address any memory in the second slot. I also had stability problems with just one opteron. The motherboard company said they didn't even officially suppot 100 series 940's in the board.

Rob

I was going quad core on the H8DCE, but I'm waiting now for the prices to drop so I can get 275s/285s instead of 265s, so if I don't meet OCing goals, I still have cores at at least 2.0ghz.

dammit...i was just gonna do a opteron 165 ..... now i'm thinking about doing dual dual core....sheeshes...damn u amd for messing up my plans! ! !

holy moses!

Quite intense price cuts

suddenly, going dual-cpu over dual core seems pretty sweet...

Now opterons wont be so exclusive, everyone will be running dual dual cores. I'm glad I sold my pair hours before that news :D

Ockie said:
Now opterons wont be so exclusive, everyone will be running dual dual cores. I'm glad I sold my pair hours before that news :D
Hahaha, I thought that I would be leet in having dual-dual cores, but now sub 2k...hell, sub 1.5k rigs with dual dual cores are possible. Now all the damn script kiddies/pseudo-geeks will have one after begging their parents for money. Ought to try working for your comp hardware money.

movax said:
Hahaha, I thought that I would be leet in having dual-dual cores, but now sub 2k...hell, sub 1.5k rigs with dual dual cores are possible. Now all the damn script kiddies/pseudo-geeks will have one after begging their parents for money. Ought to try working for your comp hardware money.
Exactly what I did, spent January working and now I think I've got enough for the board, procs, and power supply I'll need. Now to order it... :D

If there is a god, I hope he/she/it makes sure this holds for the upcoming Socket F Opteron 2xx procs. I've decided on SMP, but I want to wait for Socket F because I'll be able to upgrade to quad-core when they hit.

movax said:

Call me when you have 16-way dual PCI-Express 16x with dual slot cards.
I'll be over here ---------->
Trying to look innocent. :D

AreEss said:
Call me when you have 16-way dual PCI-Express 16x with dual slot cards.
I'll be over here ---------->
Trying to look innocent. :D
Actually, a 16-socket Opteron system would be useful for some things. At my dad's workplace they're interested in buying a 16- or 32-socket Opteron system, and though they're supposedly in development, we'll have to wait and see.

OT, another interesting development is 8x8GB memory per socket, which with a 16 socket machine means 1TB of ram. Sounds like fun :D

I don't think I'll wait for Socket F...my planned dual-dual core rig I believe would last me for all 4 years of my undergrad, and perhaps grad school as well (thinking med school :O ). Then when I have my own source of income, I'll think of buying new stuff. This all coming from someone who only upgrades majorly every 5 years or so :)

unhappy_mage said:
Actually, a 16-socket Opteron system would be useful for some things. At my dad's workplace they're interested in buying a 16- or 32-socket Opteron system, and though they're supposedly in development, we'll have to wait and see.

Not 16 sockets. 16-way. I already have 16-ways available, if you ask really nice. They just don't have PCI-Express, only PCI-X. :D
Horus is already taped out, as well. But you've got to actually build the boards too if you want to get your hands on it.

Stang Man said:
where are these price cuts?

they're all still ridiculously expensive

The article says the middle of Ferurary, its now the beginning of Februrary, that'd probably be why the price drop hasnt happened yet.

AreEss said:
Not 16 sockets. 16-way. I already have 16-ways available, if you ask really nice. They just don't have PCI-Express, only PCI-X. :D
Horus is already taped out, as well. But you've got to actually build the boards too if you want to get your hands on it.
Yep, they know how to a$k. But 8-way isn't enough for their applications. They have a machine with 512GB of ram, one with a few hundred processors, that kind of thing. He works for the largest consumer of electric power in Maryland - work that one out ;)

unhappy_mage said:
He works for the largest consumer of electric power in Maryland - work that one out
The NSA probably has the largest collection of Opterons on the east coast...dunno if Blizzard's supposed 1500 servers can even match that. You need a lot of power for Echelon/Patriot Act activities :)

Back