• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Multiplier & Divider problems

haelduksf

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jan 17, 2005
Messages
195
System is as follows:

Opty 146- tested to 3030Mhz
DFI RDX-200- tested to 330Mhz
OCZ Gold VX- Tested to 260Mhz @ 2-2-2-7

The problems start when I try to apply a divider, to run aeverything at the same time.

Unstable #1: 300x10, mem @ 5/6 (250mhz): 3 runs of test #5 in Memtest86+ gives ~250 errors

Unstable #2: 303x10, mem @ 3/4 (233 Mhz): 3 runs of Test #5 gives thousands of errors

Unstable #3: 316x9.5 (3010 Mhz), mem @ 5/6 (250 Mhz): MemTest & Prime95 stable, but video card is FUBARed. Refuses to run DirectX games- crashes messily with driver error or page fault.

Stable #1: 290x10, mem @ 5/6 (241 Mhz): Seems to run everything fine.

I can't figure out why these dividers make it unstable. It seems to me like the PCI-E bus is unlocked at 316x9.5, but then why can I play Counter-Strike 1.6 for hours at a time? I hope someone else can make sense of this :confused:
 
Please provide more details regarding your system (full specs).
 
The rest of the system:

ATi X1800XL
Enermax Liberty 500W
LG 4167 DVDRW
Custom watercooling
 
I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess your HT link speed is going too far over 1,000. What's your HT link multiplier? Also, have you tried loosening the RAM timings? Even if it's 2-2-2-7 stable @ your posted speed, it may be too tight still.

In regards to the DX9 game issue, just try downloading the newest ATi drivers and reinstall, if you haven't already. Thats about all I can think of.
 
AppaYipYip said:
I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess your HT link speed is going too far over 1,000. What's your HT link multiplier? Also, have you tried loosening the RAM timings? Even if it's 2-2-2-7 stable @ your posted speed, it may be too tight still.

In regards to the DX9 game issue, just try downloading the newest ATi drivers and reinstall, if you haven't already. Thats about all I can think of.

- HTT multi is at 3. Even with the fastest settings here it's not going above 960mhz.

-The RAM is stable 1:1 at 260MHz, 2-2-2-7. Why wouldn't it be at 4:5 250Mhz? For that matter, why isn't it at 233, 2-2-2-7, when I run a 3/4 divider?

-I'm pretty sure it isn't the drivers. I've tried the Omega drivers (5.12 version), the zer0point drivers, and the official 5.12s and 5.13s. The official ones won't even install when I'm using the 9.5x multi.
 
3.64V, I believe. 3.64 is the best balance between stability and heat that I've found, and I don't think I can push 'em any harder with the 80mm fan I have blowing on 'em right now.
 
The only time I've had only errors in Memtest's test 5, ~5 per loop, was when I had a compatability problem between the sticks.
If you are useing more than one stick of memory, first try with one stick only, then try with all but keep swopping them around untill you either run out of combos to try or get no errors.
I was on the 13th combo out of 16 useing 4 sticks before I found the magic one..

Luck........ :D
 
haelduksf said:
3.64V, I believe. 3.64 is the best balance between stability and heat that I've found, and I don't think I can push 'em any harder with the 80mm fan I have blowing on 'em right now.
yeah, i wouldn't. though, just as an interesting thing to test, does 333x9 with 4:5 work?
 
(cf)Eclipse said:
yeah, i wouldn't. though, just as an interesting thing to test, does 333x9 with 4:5 work?

No such luck. This board actually doesn't have a 4/5 divider, the closest I can get is 3/4. Plus, the best this mobo can do is 330 FSB, which is pretty good...but not quite enough in this case.

330x9, 3/4 seems nice and stable, though.
 
Never mind, I take that back.

330x9 is stable in Prime95 and Memtest, but crashes immediately in games. 320 is almost stable- crashes in 30 minutes instead of 30 seconds.
 
Back
Top