Multiplier and BCLK

Luca1

Limp Gawd
What is the difference, or benefits and drawbacks of having a 19 x CPU multiplier and a 200 BCLK to get 3.8gHz, versus having a 20 x multiplier and a 190 BCLK?

My RAM is 1600mHz, and so having a 19 x multi and 200 BCLK gets me 1500(ish)mHz in the DRAM frequency, where as 20 x multi and 190 BCLK gets me 1603mHz.

Is it just a stability or a voltage thing? I have noticed that the 20 x multi gets me a maaaaaaarginaly better benchmark score (as in 0.1 difference).

Cheers,
Luca

On the x58 platform, the higher bclk is generally what you will want to go with as it will also be running the uncore and the HT faster as well.

Also, the higher the speed of the RAM, the better as well. Have you tried overclocking the RAM? I am guessing you should be able to get to around 1866 or maybe even higher with that RAM.

The higher benchmark scores are from the RAM running at a higher speed.

Your sig says you have 16GB of RAM, which means that there is no way you are running triple channel on that setup unless you have 4x4gb sticks and that board supports running 3 at triple channel and the last at single channel. Triple channel makes quite a difference in RAM throughput on that platform.

On the x58 platform, the higher bclk is generally what you will want to go with as it will also be running the uncore and the HT faster as well.

Also, the higher the speed of the RAM, the better as well. Have you tried overclocking the RAM? I am guessing you should be able to get to around 1866 or maybe even higher with that RAM.

The higher benchmark scores are from the RAM running at a higher speed.

Your sig says you have 16GB of RAM, which means that there is no way you are running triple channel on that setup unless you have 4x4gb sticks and that board supports running 3 at triple channel and the last at single channel. Triple channel makes quite a difference in RAM throughput on that platform.

Holy crap man! Spot on :D I have 4 x 4GB sticks of that RAM on a triple channel P6T.

I went through the manual and forums and made sure the 4 sticks were in the correct slots (spaced out as I recall). Due to editing etc I figured I'd benefit more from 16GB RAM in this config over 12GB in triple channel, would you agree? Or should I look at a different config?

Never realised I could OC that RAM to 1866 either! Fek, I've got some more OC'ing to do then

Back