Multiple Windows 10 systems claim removable drive(s) need repaired

2Pro4U

n00b
I've been troubleshooting this for a while now, trying to figure it out, and am at a loss, other than considering it a Windows 10 bug.

I have 2 different windows 10 machines that I move a removable hdd enclosure between, one at home, one at work. When data is moved or copied from the internal drive to the enclosure, the data is fine. Both the internal and external drive chkdsk fine, both before and after the move of data.

That same drive is then taken home, connected and moved to that machines internal drive. Both the internal drive and the same enclosure chkdsk fine.

The drive is then connected back to the original machine, and Windows 10 throws up notifications that the drive needs scanned, and chkdsk reports errors like:

"Stage 1: Examining basic file system structure ...
Found corrupt basic file structure for "<0x1,0x30c>"
... repaired online."

and

"Found an unneeded link ($FILE_NAME: "IMG_0083.JPG") in index "$I30" of directory "<0x1,0x3d2>"
... repaired online."

It continues to "fix" these files, and by fix that is an assortment of actually fixing, to moving them to a found.001 folder, to completely deleting them without a trace.

Another strange outcome is that after moving files off the enclosure to the internal drive on computer "A", is that sometimes when chkdsk "repairs" the drive on computer "B", the moved files are back in their folders. Almost like Windows is having trouble keeping track of the bit that marks them as deleted.

So of course, the first thing you're thinking is the drive is going bad, and here's the confusing part: I've tried tests using different drives in the enclosure, different enclosures, different connections for those enclosures (eSATA and USB 3.1), different test files, and still, when brought back the system still is trying to tell me that there are problems.

I've tried formating the drive in the enclosure, which has detected zero bad sectors, and recopied the data to the drive. The problem persists.

I've tried copying the data through a network to a 3rd computer, and using that computer to copy the data to the removable, and still at the work machine it finds errors.

I've tried copying from my home machine to a newly installed Windows 10 machine at work, still Windows 10 insists on there are errors on the drive, and says similar things to the above mentioned errors.

I've tried different data copying, and the same problem on Windows 10.

I've tested every possible thing I can think of, and am starting to wonder if it is actually a Windows 10 bug (hence posting here in the OS forum)

All these tests have been performed by having the machine off, turning on or plugging in the enclosure and then powering up the PC. And same for shutdown, shutting down the Windows 10 machine, waiting for the power to actually stop being supplied to the PC, then turning off the enclosure.

I've ran system file checker on both Windows 10 machines. Nothing fixed, nothing detected wrong.

Lastly, I've scanned for malware and viruses on both machines, and both scan clean using the latest versions and definitions of Malwarebytes and NOD32.

Has anybody else experienced anything similar to this, where the problem is not that a drive is going bad, or corrupt? Everything I can find in Google, every result and help answer is "your drive is going bad, backup and replace the drive". Because I get the same results on 2 separate drives, which are two different brands, and in two different enclosures, using two different methods of file transfer, I can confidently say it's not the drives themselves... one of which is no more than 6 months old, and the other being pulled out of a sealed static bag specifically to test this problem.

I'm at a loss as to what to try next, other than seeing if I can reproduce the problem on two fresh Windows 10 machines, without any 3rd party apps installed, and simply trying to copy the Windows folder or the Program Files folder to the enclosure(s) to see if that reproduces the problem when scanned on another Windows 10 machine.

The problem is looking like Windows 10 not liking files written/moved by a different Windows 10 machine. (Both are Windows 10 are Enterprise) Yet, if that were the case, I believe there would be other people experiencing the problem, and something in Google results.

I'm a PC tech for a living, which is why I have a few resources at my disposal, if that makes a difference on things / hardware to try. Any ideas?

Is there any particular reason why you run chkdsk when connecting the drive to the various machines or is Windows forcing you to do it?

Windows will give a notification that the drive needs to be repaired upon boot in the notification center of Windows 10. Since I've discovered the problem reoccuring, I've begun manually running it from Windows Explorer to try and determine if there was a single machine causing the problem, but haven't pinpointed any of the machines the enclosure is connected to.

Windows will give a notification that the drive needs to be repaired upon boot in the notification center of Windows 10. Since I've discovered the problem reoccuring, I've begun manually running it from Windows Explorer to try and determine if there was a single machine causing the problem, but haven't pinpointed any of the machines the enclosure is connected to.

Ok, I've seen that dialogue box pop up when connecting external USB drives on literally every Windows 10 machine I've ever used, I just figured that at some stage I must have whipped the drive out of the USB socket without un mounting it first? Having said that, it never seems to be an issue and I've never lost data over it.

However, if you are disconnecting your drive without correctly un mounting it first there's every chance you could loose data or experience data corruption.

When I tried Windows 10 before launch and not long after launch, it caused problems with all my drives.
Each time I booted back into Windows 7 it would auto perform scandisk on all of them.

I tried Windows 10 again a few months back and it didnt do it this time.
Perhaps the Windows 10 machines causing the problem are not up to date.
Or maybe there is an update to Windows 7 not on your PC that stops it being triggered now.

Since becoming aware of the problem I've disconnected the enclosure specifically after the machine has been powered off. Both for USB and eSata. I didn't perform the software disconnect, I simply shutdown the machine. All test machines are updated, and when a manual attempt at an update is performed it notes that they're updated.

Back