Multiple Website / Single server question

Frozen8950

Limp Gawd
Ok.. i was reading up on this and I want to make sure its as easy as it says..

1 Server running Win 2003 SBS Server
1 IP Addy (we will list it as 44.44.44.44 Not the real ip but for this question it is)

It is hosting a site site1.com the domain is configured through
networksolutions.com using advanced dns settings
the A record is
www.site1.com 44.44.44.44
@.site1.com 44.44.44.44
*.site1.com 44.44.44.44

the MX record is site1.com

Ok so if you go to www.site1.com it goes to site1's website.. which is what it is supposed to do..

Well last night I registered a new company at godaddy.com
we will call it site2.com
I want to host the stuff myself on that same server.
I read I can just go into IIS and add it as a website.

Then I just go to godaddy and add the www/@/*.site2.com as 44.44.44.44
in the A record and site2.com in the MX record and the server should be
able to figure out when people go to www.site1.com it goes to site1 web
and www.site2.com will go to site2 web even though its the same IP?

Ive never done it so before I change the dns record for site2 and knock site1 off and get yelled at.. i want to make sure it will work

Dont know the specifics with IIS im afraid (its easy with apache vhosts :p) but MX records have very little todo with 'www' (used for email).

I have a friend running 5 sites off the same server. I believe the information from GoDaddy.com is correct - and GoDaddy is the host we currently use for our domain names. Your server should find which URL they are requesting, and forward them to the correct site directory on the server.

Cool.
I just dont want to plug in the same ip info for site2 and have it overpower and kick off site1

Site1 is a commercial real time business and site2 is a startup that hasnt started yet lol
So if i jack up site1 on accident I could get yelled at.

Getting yelled at makes me sad :(

UPDATE:

OK i seem to have all that worked out..
however I also want to host (on the same server) site2.com email....
Is that an easy task to accomplish?

Its all the same server... 1 box... 2 website domains with 2 email domains...

Hmmm.. No clue..but again, my friend that hosted the 5 sites did have it all running off of Exchange server on the same server... No clue how to do it on that, though. I'm guessing it's all in the MX records for that site.

Yes you can host it all off one box but you can not use SSL. SSL will requite a unique IP. Same with email. I don't know how to set it up in exchange (if that's what you are using). I'm sure you can find a tutorial though.

Back