Multiple U2412M Displayport problems

Bees

[H]ard|Gawd
I received the first of 2 U2412Ms a couple days ago, while some miniDP-to-Displayport cables arrived today.

The monitor was previously connected via DVI and gave no problems. Originally, I was getting no video at all through Displayport. An install of 13.6 Beta 2 and a couple of restarts got video working, if at just 640x480 (until another restart).

It was working fine as the main monitor (Having it paired temporarily with my Samsung T260HD using HDMI) until I tried playing a video on VLC in fullscreen. I got this weird display problem: http://puu.sh/3bgaa.JPG (warning - HUGE) then after I closed VLC, the monitor was flickering.

I think it might be the cable, but I'm not certain, as I don't have another to test with - the two I purchased are the same length (10ft) and rev 1.1, which I was not aware of when I purchased.

I wanted to run both U2412Ms on miniDP-to-DP cables when the 2nd arrived (and maybe a 3rd later for some portrait action) but otherwise I'll have to use a DVI-to-HDMI adapter (which I have), making a 3rd monitor not an option if DP does not work properly.

Any other thoughts?

I have avoided Monoprice mini-DP to DP cables because in the past they were incorrectly manufactured and there were quite a few complaints. I figured they would have fixed the issue by now but who knows, that may be causing the issue.

More details can be found here:
http://www.necdisplay.com/documents/Miscellaneous/DisplayPort_Notice.pdf

You can verify yourself that this is the problem with a multimeter and the DP and mini-DP pinout diagrams.

If you have 2 or 3 monitors then just use the monitor that has a functional displayport (I would rma it though) and use dvi or dvi and hdmi cables. If displayport isn't working on all of them then perhaps its your video card.

You only need one monitor on displayport for Eyefinity/three monitors to work (or did they change that for the 7970?)

Check each monitor to see if it's a display port problem, if it persists on every monitor it's likely to be your gfx card.

Unlike dell's PCs I prefer their Monitors and see them as their flagship product, and never have I seen any issues with a dell ultrasharp but I never purchased a consumer friendly version "look at the M in the name it generally means friendly, less inputs and less color gamut but still superior to any tn panel out there).

If it's your gfx card contact AMD to see if you can RMA it if it's under warranty as I believe it's defective.

If you have 2 or 3 monitors then just use the monitor that has a functional displayport (I would rma it though) and use dvi or dvi and hdmi cables. If displayport isn't working on all of them then perhaps its your video card.

You only need one monitor on displayport for Eyefinity/three monitors to work (or did they change that for the 7970?)

I may RMA once I get the second panel to see if it is indeed the Displayport input on this first monitor. According to AMD's website, you are correct in stating that only one DP output is required on the GPU.

Check each monitor to see if it's a display port problem, if it persists on every monitor it's likely to be your gfx card.

Unlike dell's PCs I prefer their Monitors and see them as their flagship product, and never have I seen any issues with a dell ultrasharp but I never purchased a consumer friendly version "look at the M in the name it generally means friendly, less inputs and less color gamut but still superior to any tn panel out there).

If it's your gfx card contact AMD to see if you can RMA it if it's under warranty as I believe it's defective.

I have looked around using some Google-fu and found some others having similar issues to what I've experienced and RMA'd the monitor. As far as less inputs and color gamut, this monitor model required all that I need as I am not professionally photo editing, nor do I need a ton of ports (can't think of a reason why anyone would, besides maybe USB 3.0 if it were on this one).

And I'm not worried much about RMAing the GPU - the lifetime warranty through XFX should be fine.

Back