Multiple Router Question

djdk

Limp Gawd
Okay, here's my situation...I have DSL and was provided with a DSL router. I also have a wireless router. The DSL router is handing out 192.168.1.x addresses and I gave my wireless router a 192.168.2 address. This works of course, and I know that it would be best to basically set the DSL router to run in a pass through mode, but I also have IPTV so that option is out. Are there any drawbacks to the way that I have everything set up? Would it be better to put my wireless router in a DMZ? The DSL router only has NAT enabled and the firewall is disabled. I don't really care since my stuff is all behind the wireless router's firewall. I haven't had any problems with my current setup, but would be interested to hear what would be considered most correct.

Thanks!

The easiest way would be to:

1. Turn off DHCP on your wireless router.
2. Connect your wireless router via one of the switch ports instead of the WAN port, and just use the wireless router as an access point only.

That way all your machines are on a single subnet.

In your current config, any machine connected to the DSL router would be unable to connect back to any machine connected to your wireless router. Machines behind the wireless router could connect to machines connected to the DSL router via IP, but vice versa wouldn't be possible.

like the above said, but use a cross over cable (between the two routers..).. works every time.. even tho they are auto senseing that doesnt always work.

like the above said, but use a cross over cable (between the two routers..).. works every time.. even tho they are auto senseing that doesnt always work.

You don't need a cross over cable when you stick it in the switch port.

The only reason I haven't considered this is because then my computers wouldn't be behind a firewall. I suppose that I could ask my phone company about turning the firewall on but I'm hesitant to mess with their configuration since IPTV is involved.

The only reason I haven't considered this is because then my computers wouldn't be behind a firewall. I suppose that I could ask my phone company about turning the firewall on but I'm hesitant to mess with their configuration since IPTV is involved.

If NAT is turned on in your ISP supplied gateway (which you mention it is)..you ARE behind its firewall. (unless you do something insane like DMZ a computer....which is a bad move.

You don't need a cross over cable when you stick it in the switch port.

He would if he's going from switch port on the DSL router to the switch port on the wireless router, that is unless they are auto sensing.

Basically what you are doing is NAT'ing twice, and to be honest for most home use you won't see any problem with doing that, but if you plan on hosting a gaming server, or needing to tunnel back into your network for something, FTP/remote desktop etc... it will cause you some problems doing that, port forwarding etc... but would still work.

Back