Multiple rads needed?

TrevorR

Gawd
I'm attempting my first custom loop this week, still waiting for the UPS man to deliver from Newegg. Anyways, I bought 1x360mm radiator and thought it would be enough.

However, I just looked at numerous builds and noticed that most people have multiple radiators, it looks like the additional rad is usually after the GPU.

My question, is it recommended that I have an additional radiator for my build? My Titan X is overclocked and I have an EK block coming as well. Just not sure of the added benefit of multiple radiators.

Thanks!

I have a single alphacool UT60 360 cooling an overclocked xeon 5649 and a stock R9 290. Temps on both never go above 50C.

depends on how fast you want the fans going? I put 2 360mm radiators in mine so I can set the fan speed at the lowest and still have great temps.

depends on how much stiff is in your loop, but in all honestly a 360 rad is more than enough for 2 GPUs and 1 CPU in most cases.

Where the loop components are doesn't matter except that you have res -> pump.

IIRC the rule of thumb is about 120x120 radiator for every 125 watts. My Titan X has pulled over 350 watts alone. You might be ok with one 360 rad but will likely have to run the fans moderately fast.

If you want a quantitative picture, google "360 radiator roundup" and there should be plenty of charts. Pick a delta T (most people aim for 10 or less) and you'll see what fan speed you'll need to disappate 500 (?) watts.

I have a single alphacool UT60 360 cooling an overclocked xeon 5649 and a stock R9 290. Temps on both never go above 50C.

Where did you get the room for that HUUUUGGEEE radiator? xD
Bah, its not the BIG radiator but in my Cooler Master 690 II Advance cant install it :p

I'm attempting my first custom loop this week, still waiting for the UPS man to deliver from Newegg. Anyways, I bought 1x360mm radiator and thought it would be enough.

However, I just looked at numerous builds and noticed that most people have multiple radiators, it looks like the additional rad is usually after the GPU.

My question, is it recommended that I have an additional radiator for my build? My Titan X is overclocked and I have an EK block coming as well. Just not sure of the added benefit of multiple radiators.

Thanks!

With that setup, you should be more than fine. Honestly, a good rule of thumb is for every 120mm of radiator you have it should be for one component. People that run a 2nd radiator to get the coolant cooled before it goes to the next component. Your 360 radiator should cool it down enough to keep your cpu and gpu cool. I ran a setup with a 360 radiator with a cpu and two video cards and it never went over 60c. It all depends on the fan cfm and the ambient temperature. ;)

Thanks all. I just have the 5820k and OC titan to cool and I figured one giant 360mm radiator was enough and wasn't sure why people ran multiple radiators.

Thanks all. I just have the 5820k and OC titan to cool and I figured one giant 360mm radiator was enough and wasn't sure why people ran multiple radiators.

Expansion my friend. Water cooling is a drug. Once you start, it never ends. I started like you thinking I will only cool one GPU and one CPU. Now I'm about to go crossfire. With that expansion comes more cooling needs. So folks get more than they need in case they have to expand the loop in the future.

i went with twin 240's solely so i had capacity if something was added or a more thermally stressful part was swapped in. had the benefit of increasing the volume of coolant as well, which saved me when my pump started crapping out. the other reason for going with twin 240's instead of a single 480 was the mounting them was easier that way. though i run my loop as pump > rad > components > rad > res and back to pump. made the plumbing easier.

Back