• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Multiple OS's? No its not the question your thinking...

abudhu

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Oct 28, 2004
Messages
1,653
Hey:

So here is my question, and its probably a foolish one, but I would like to know nevertheless.

Is it possible to have 2 Operating Systems running at the same time? Say, in a scenario where you have 1 CPU (say for the sake of the scenario Intel with HT, giving you "2" Cpus) and 2 HD's both with 1 OS a peice, and a dual screen setup (2 Vid Cards)

Is it in anyway shape or form possible to have 1 screen display one OS, and the other the other OS?

Or, is this even possible in Dual CPU computers? I can see plenty of reasons why this probably wouldn't work, but then I think and wonder why it shouldn't.

Also, another question/thought that arises would be, if it isn't possible to do it nowadays, wouldn't it be possible to write some program that can load both, have them on their respective screen but only have the single CPU acutally work on ONE at any given time? What I mean by this, is lets say you have Windows one screen and Linux on the other, then couldn't X program just be made so that when Y screen is active, the CPU runs Z Operating system and when M screen is active it runs N operating system?
^^ That in my mind would be really cool.

Did any of that make sense :p
 
As far as i know no, unless you find one of those internal backplane pcs, that are like entire pcs on a single board. The nearest thing youd probably get is a standard install with something like Virtual PC running on the second monitor. Any reason why you need this? If youre thinking windows linux, then your best bet is probably to take a look into wine, it runs most windows programs well.
 
Well, for example, like right now, I have Windows Formatting this drive, but I have been fooling around in Linux all day, and I want to try some stuff, but I am stuck here waiting for windows to finish its low-level format of this drive, and it would be very advantageous to just use the other OS, without 1) having to wait for this to finish and 2) to not have to restart my computer over and over again.
 
What you are talking about is commonly called virtualization(or something to that effect). It is pretty common on mainframe systems but not so much on home pc hardware. I'd say the best solution in this case is something like vmware. The standard PC architecture really doesn't allow for running two operating systems simultaneously.
 
Back
Top