Multiple OS on 1 machine

C_N1

n00b
I want to have a server computer and have Vista Business 32 bit wit 4gb RAM, so I want something a bit better for only 4gb ram. I wanted to try out linux server, but don't want to delete vista just in case I don't like it or if it can't do something I want. I need a GUI because I am a complete n00b in terms of server software, I want to share files with my windows 7 machine and I want to host 1 MAYBE 2 minecraft servers (probably 1 modded and that is it, agrarian skies to be exact)

Specs: Intel E8500 Core 2 vPro 3.16Ghz
4gb DDR2 ram
Windows Vista Business
Dell Optiplex 755

There should be no problem with that. Install linux after windows so it will make grub the boot loader. Although this assumes you have a new disk available for linux. If you do not you can reduce the size of the partition you have for windows with gparted

http://gparted.org/livecd.php

If it really comes down to it, just remove or disconnect the hard drive with vista on it when you install your other OS on your other drive. Each time you boot you can just bring up the manual boot menu and manually select the drive you want to boot from. I like to keep things simple, as it all gets messy and complicated fast when you have one OS trying to overwrite the bootloader from another OS on another drive, etc.

If it really comes down to it, just remove or disconnect the hard drive with vista on it when you install your other OS on your other drive. Each time you boot you can just bring up the manual boot menu and manually select the drive you want to boot from. I like to keep things simple, as it all gets messy and complicated fast when you have one OS trying to overwrite the bootloader from another OS on another drive, etc.

this seems like a very good idea if really convinced to try dual booting

This. Didn't like GRUB last time I dual booted Windows 7/Ubuntu on my laptop and had nothing but problems with it, especially when I decided to retire Ubuntu. Thank god for virtualization. If I had to do it again I would do exactly this. Each OS on its own drive.

its own parition is enough when u want install multiple os, dont have to be a different drive as if something happens on that partition chances are more or less same as if u would have 2 drives connected.

Back