Multiple Hard Drive Setup

The Realyst

Limp Gawd
I just finished building my new computer and it runs great, but I'm thinking about running multiple hard drives for even better performance. Right now I'm running a 300gb drive as my main drive and an 80gb drive that I only run games off of. I was thinking about :

A 100gb drive for my OS and programs
One of those 150gb Raptor drives from Western Digital for my gaming
And use the 300gb drive that I already have for storage

I know the Raptor drives are expensive and doesn't have much space, but I like to play my games with minimum hiccups. Besides that, how does this sound to everyone? Overkill?

Ewww, I'd stear clear of the raptor purely because of the performance over drive space compared to other (what would be classed as) normal SATA drives being almost and in some cases faster than the raptor. Go with a Western Digital, Samsung, or Hitachi/IBM drive around the 500-750 GB range, better value for money.

And the raptors are normally used as the OS drive since it would be doing most of the work, definitely not worth buying for a games storage drive...I'll try and find the post but someone was nice enough to put up graphs and performance charts of specific models compared to the raptor.

If it's that little of an increase then I'll just get a normal 100gb and maybe a 160gb for the games I'll be playing. I don't need a 500 - 750 GB drive. I'll probably still run 3 hard drives. Thanks!

Back