Multiple GPU clients running on single GPU card?

Bloodgod42

Gawd
Ok, so I accidentally started a second instance of the GPU client, and to my suprise, it started folding. I let it run overnight just to see what would happen (thinking 1 or both would fail to send at some point) and in the morning it seems im pulling the same ppd (5000-ish) as a single instance. I checked my gpu temps and again, to my suprise, my max temp had actually dropped 15c.

Same points with less heat dissipation is FTW in my book! Is there any draw back to folding this way?

Thanks for any input.

Didn't think it was possible, but you're doing the same wu twice and would only get credit for one.

yeah.. the reason its running 15C cooler is that the clients are conflicting with each other since neither of them can get 100% usage of the gpu.. so they are fighting eachother and your gpu's not running at full load because its constantly switching back and forth between the WU's.. your better off running a single client.. and like kowan said your probably just doing the same WU twice and would only get points for one..

Kowan, thanks for the reply.
Checking the log, that indeed seems to be the case...

Twiceasnice-1.png

Ok, so If I am running the same wu twice, at what seems to be the same ppd (stats have been goofy as of late), are there any negative consequences to this?

Thanks again!

edit:
sirmonkey1985 - Are your saying that my ppd would actually drop folding this way? Personally I would think the same, and since I have only been running it for about 20 hrs. I have been unable to judge the overall effect. I appreciate the feedback.

Two clients with the same UserID & MachineID = 1 client in Stanfords books so they get identical work-units..
But unless you downloaded identical work-units to different machines, which I've done that a couple of times due to a slight server glitch, folding identical work-units will only give you credit for the first work-unit you send back.

It one of the things you've got to check for when cloneing drives with FaH on.
If all ther clients end up with the same UserID & MachineID then you will fold a lot of duplicate work-units that will give you no credit.

Hence the drop in PpD.

Luck ............. :D

Two clients with the same UserID & MachineID = 1 client in Stanfords books so they get identical work-units..
But unless you downloaded identical work-units to different machines, which I've done that a couple of times due to a slight server glitch, folding identical work-units will only give you credit for the first work-unit you send back.

It one of the things you've got to check for when cloneing drives with FaH on.
If all ther clients end up with the same UserID & MachineID then you will fold a lot of duplicate work-units that will give you no credit.

Hence the drop in PpD.

Luck ............. :D

^^^ yup ive actually done that.. lost almost 70k ppd due to that when i was moving the same install folder to all 3 desktops..

Back