Multiple ethernet cables to optical fiber???

SedoSan

Limp Gawd
Hello all,
we're currently in the process of building a new villa and the guys from networking company came to install the cables today.
My original plan was to connect all cables (cat 6) to the server room which is located on the first floor (the villa is 3 floors), however the cabling guy told me that they all must go to the main DP which is on the ground floor (because the municipality says so), then after doing a patch panel there he will connect the other end to the server room (which is now 1 floor above). The problem is that there isn't a pipe wide enough for all (40~) cables to go through there.
He told me it is fine because he doesn't need all that space, he will just install around 3 fiber optic cables to the server room.
I didn't really get it, is this possible? I didn't really understand a lot because of his Indian accent but what I understood is that he can connect all those 40~ cables to little fiber-optics ones and then connect it to a switch in the server room and from there I can configure and control all cables.
Can someone clarify this for me please, how is it actually connected? I tried googling optic fiber cable to multiple ethernet cables but I didn't find anything clear.

Ethernet Cables - > 48 Port Switch with GBics - > Fibre cables - > Another switch with GBics - > Ethernet Cables to servers

You can get fibre to ethernet converters for like a hundred bucks, converts fibre into Gb ethernet and they work fine, then plug ethernet into your switch,

Ethernet Cables - > 48 Port Switch with GBics - > Fibre cables - > Another switch with GBics - > Ethernet Cables to servers

so a 48 port switch with GBics has to be installed in the ground floor?... I was hoping no large device have to be installed outside the server room =\
Also, what is the speed that is gonna be carried? am I going to be losing performance?
I saw a 48 RJ45 + 4 SFP+ switch, is this the one you are talking about?
wouldn't it be better if the 4SFP+ are 10Gbps instead of 1Gbps?
I have a media and application server set on multiple HDDs on RAID setup and are capable of transferring over 500MBps+, I have a 4x NIC on it but planning to change it to a 10Gbps NIC.
I have a lot of users who will be connected to this server and streaming full HD media or running games directly from the server so I'd like to have as maximum as i can get from the bandwidth.

You can get fibre to ethernet converters for like a hundred bucks, converts fibre into Gb ethernet and they work fine, then plug ethernet into your switch,
so it doesn't require a big device? i'm looking for something that is no longer than 10cm3

Something like this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833316156

Yes you could get 10GBps, I have no idea what your budget is I am just telling you how it works. Your next question is "what should I get?" then some other people will have a better answer.

They could be talking about transceivers but that only converts one STP cable to one fibre cable afaik. I think your networking tech is looking for a switch - something has to store a mac address table!

A media converter is slightly larger than a deck of playing cards. This one is 100Mbit, but the size of a Gb one should be the same.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000067T6R/?tag=extension-kb-20

this looks small enough, however i'm still wondering about something, is this the only thing I need? the guy needs to move 40 different cables to another room, will only 1 be enough? or I should have another device as well?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Something like this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833316156

Yes you could get 10GBps, I have no idea what your budget is I am just telling you how it works. Your next question is "what should I get?" then some other people will have a better answer.

They could be talking about transceivers but that only converts one STP cable to one fibre cable afaik. I think your networking tech is looking for a switch - something has to store a mac address table!

I see, is this the only way to do it? the problem is I don't have a space inside the DP box to include a switch in and including one outside the DP is not an option >.<

this looks small enough, however i'm still wondering about something, is this the only thing I need? the guy needs to move 40 different cables to another room, will only 1 be enough? or I should have another device as well?

You will need to know your bandwidth to measure how many cables you would need and trunk them together for the switch to switch uplinks.

Can you not just have two conduits?

that's not an option :( Municipality forces citizens to have a conduit in the ground floor so whenever a cable guy comes or ISP peopel come they have quick access, and the server room was made in the 1st floor.

Well I would buy a 48 port switch with SFP modules for the fiber, if performance is an issue, do it the right way.

If space is an issue then I suggest you look at verticals racks for the switch. You neeed the switch anyway, or you need a larger conduit.

Like this prehaps : http://www.rackmountsolutions.net/Wa...anel_Mount.asp

wow this can actually work! how will heating go? I have a 24 port with 4+sfp and it gets loud as hell so I'm assuming it gets heated fast >.<

What municipality is this?
Are you sure the contractor is not confusing requirements for Electrical Panels? Those are required to be as close as possible to the point of service entry.
Even if your municipality requires all service entries to be on the first floor, you are still dealing with only a small number of cables to take them to your server room.
If you are dealing with a large number of ethernet cables, then a wall mount rack with a switch that has 2 or more SFP ports would be smart. The problem would be bandwidth- I don't think you would be able to get backplane speed over the link between floors.

What municipality is this?
Are you sure the contractor is not confusing requirements for Electrical Panels? Those are required to be as close as possible to the point of service entry.
Even if your municipality requires all service entries to be on the first floor, you are still dealing with only a small number of cables to take them to your server room.
If you are dealing with a large number of ethernet cables, then a wall mount rack with a switch that has 2 or more SFP ports would be smart.

its in the UAE "United Arab Emirates"

I have no experience in this but theoretically, if I connect 48 cables to a switch then connect 4 SFP+ with 10Gbps each, then I think 40Gbps won't be that bad for 48 Gbps cables (not all of them will be occupied) so I believe I only want a max bandwidth of 20 computers streaming maximum at the same time, so I think only 2 10Gbps SFP+ connections is enough? Actually it would be more than enough, but I just want to make sure I never hit the throttle point.

Budget is around ~$13k for the whole network interfaces for the villa (including firewall vpn router/managed switches/Access points/CCTV/IP phones/rack/APUs/cabling/installing/etc...
There are 10 people in the house, however i'm doing LAN parties/sessions for around 16 more people (streaming live/playing online/streaming media)...

I'm kind of geeky when it comes to technology and I want to install everything I know as a hobby though some stuff I don't have enough experience, but I just HAVE to do it :p

The problem would be bandwidth- I don't think you would be able to get backplane speed over the link between floors.
What do you mean by this?

You pretty much answered it with your LAGG setup.
Most decent switches have a backplane bandwith (port-port connections on the switch) that would allow every port to communicate at full wirespeed. In other words, a good 24-port GbE switch should have a backplane rated at 48Gbps (24 ports x 1Gbps x 2(full-duplex).
Stacking extends not only the management, but also the backplane across physical switches. If you stack 2 24-port GbE switches, you would need 96 Gbps bandwidth to support full wirespeed.

Stacking would be the ideal solution, I'm just not aware of a product that allows full wirespeed stacking over that distance. I'm not up on the high-end enterprise gear though, so I may be wrong. But as you say, a LAGG of 4x 10GbE should do fine.

ok so I thought this through and I decided to re-do the piping so it can fit all cables and more for expanding in the future.
I don't wanna waste 2000$+ on switches while I can just re-direct all cables. so that's that. Now i have another question and not sure if this is the best sub-forum to ask.
I'm building my server rack and need advice, I have my storage server "NAS" which is a norco 4224. so that would go into the rack. also the switches are going in (maybe 2x 44 GbE + 4 SFP+), a VPN/firewall router, and an APU to keep the server alive in emergencies.

I'm doing couple of servers such as CCTV/FTP/VPN/teamspeak/minecraft/counterstrike/etc... and i'd hate to lose connection to them anytime in the day. My connection is 100Mbps/20Mbps and I can't upgrade further because my ISP is monopolizing the market -.-
so anyways, am I missing anything in my rack? what other stuff can I add?

another thing, the network company said they will do all landlines through IP phones, can someone direct me to how this is done? I have absolutely no idea =3

Back