multiple duplicate entries in right click windows shell menu

MrWizard6600

Supreme [H]ardness
--tried to fill the title with googlable words--

This has gotta be one of the oldest problems with windows in the book: after a while nearly every windows install starts to have duplicate entries in the shell right-click menus. Below is my problem:

fuckingwindowsshell.png

but if left not fixed...

dupcontexts.jpg

My problem specifically is the right-click menu brought up when you right click an executable file or the .lnk auto-generated file from withen the start menu only. The menu is formatted properly everywhere else (unlike in the windows XP example shown above)

I suspect the problem is in
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell or ...\shellex
but I have no idea how to find it. If you delete the culprit (selected here) ....

deleting7zipentry.png

...it removes both entries, and if you re-install the corresponding application (7zip) or re-apply the deleted registry value the duplicate entries re-appear in the right-click menu.

I'm by no means desperate for a solution, I realize I really shouldn't care less, and I realize that Notepad++ and TortoiseSVN are probably the causes, but this... blegh, I work so damn hard to keep my Windows install nice and clean (this one's about a year old), which pisses me off in-and-of itself because nobody should have to work as hard as I do to keep everything running smoothly, but then when I cant fix a problem... its just under my skin.

Anyways, thanks for any help,

-Geoff

Go to HKCR\lnkfile\ShellEx\ContextMenuHandlers and HKCR\exefile\ShellEx\ContextMenuHandlers and remove the corresponding key relating to 7-Zip?

You could also try using Process Monitor to monitor for registry activity where the path contains 7-Zip, ContextMenuHandlers, ShellEx, {23170F69-40C1-278A-1000-000110070000}, etc.

If those don't work, ShellExView might help.

Back