Multiple drive letters on USB stick?

Trackr

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Feb 10, 2011
Messages
1,786
I have a USB 3.0 stick that I've managed to partition into two segments.

Unfortunately, though, only one of them can be given a letter through Windows.

My intention is for both of them to have a drive letter so that I can have on partition act as a Live CD and the other a copy of my Windows 8 installation CD. Then, I'd just need some sort of program to allow me to choose which one to boot on start up.

Does anyone know of any such program? I feel lie my 32GB USB 3.0 drive is being totally wasted.. why buy another USB 3.0 drive just for the Live CD when I can put both on one drive?

Thanks.
 
I am not sure of partitioning USB sticks under windows any more (I believe I did that over a decade ago but now not recently). However why not use a program like YUMI to allow more than 1 ISO to be installed on a USB stick and still give you the ability to add your own files?
 
I am not sure of partitioning USB sticks under windows any more (I believe I did that over a decade ago but now not recently). However why not use a program like YUMI to allow more than 1 ISO to be installed on a USB stick and still give you the ability to add your own files?

Oh, sweet. This looks like just what I needed!

Just one thing though.. do I select "GRUB" or "GRUB from RAM."

I have no idea what this means.
 
Grub is a boot loader. Either one should work. I will test with a windows disk.

Edit:
I tested win-8.1 preview with grub (not grub from ram) on a 64GB USB stick and it booted fine.
On the first boot screen I selected "GRUB Bootable ISOs or Windows XP"
Then I selected the iso file from the list on the second menu.
 
Last edited:
Update:

Seems like you can't choose "GRUB" nor "GRUB from RAM" for Windows 8.

When you do, you get a "A media driver is missing" when trying to install.

Stupid me, I didn't notice the Windows 7/8 option instead. I am trying it now.

EDIT:

Yes, choosing Windows 7/8 fixes the "A media driver is missing" error.

Thank you very much, drescherjm!!
 
Last edited:
Back
Top