Multiple drive letters for a partition?

Suicidal Insanity

Limp Gawd
Is it possible to have a partition have multiple drive letters, either via a tool or reg hacking? I need to merge 2 smaller partitions into 1 on a new drive and it would be nice not having to change a bunch of registry settings.

You need to run a partition re-sizing tool like partition magic.

It probably doesn't apply to your question, but you can also map a directory on an NTFS volume as a drive, with it's own letter.

Phoenix86 said:
You need to run a partition re-sizing tool like partition magic.
um, no I dont. please dont post standard responses without reading the post.

djnes said:
It probably doesn't apply to your question, but you can also map a directory on an NTFS volume as a drive, with it's own letter.
I know you can mount a drive as a directory, but how do I mount a directory as a drive? That would also work, then I could have E:\ as E and E:\J as J.

I think I may have gotten the order mixed up with drive sharing over a network. Give more details of what you're trying to do, and we can go from there. I'm have a guess at what's going on, but I don't want to assume anything.

drive sharing and network drive would be a nasty hack that could fix my problem actually.

Basicly, I had bought a new HDD, 2 partitions, system and data. However system has been empty since I have been waiting vor VS 2005 before I reformat. Then my old drive (also system and data) headcrashed, I have all the data but I dont trust the drive anymore, I moved system to the new drive, moved data to the new drives data partition, but it already had lots of programs on it. (and before I had data1 as E and data2 as J) Now both data 1 and data2 are one partition and I want to access it via E and J so I dont needa mess with settings (source control, test servers, etc).
Ideal solution is assigning E and J to the drive, less ideal would be splitting it into E:\ and E:\J and having sharing E:\J internally and mapping it as a network drive to J:\, or just assigning the folder E:\J a drive letter J (This and the first option I do not know how to do)

Is this what you mean?

Start/Run

subst w: c:\somefolder\yeeah\uhhuh

Done... W: is now mapped to c:\somefolder\yeeah\uhhuh

If not, sorry

Wow just read the story of E and J... How about getting a B in there dumping the contents of E and J on it then taking your new HDD and reformat and reinstall XP then fill in from B.

Grimmda said:
Is this what you mean?

Start/Run

subst w: c:\somefolder\yeeah\uhhuh

Done... W: is now mapped to c:\somefolder\yeeah\uhhuh

If not, sorry

Wow just read the story of E and J... How about getting a B in there dumping the contents of E and J on it then taking your new HDD and reformat and reinstall XP then fill in from B.
Thats exactly what I wanted, thanks. Never have seen that command before.

Thats why I had left the system partition of the new drive empty, to reformat once the new visual studio is out, however the drive crash interrupted my work and I dont have time to format and reinstall all my apps, that usually takes a day or two. (windows goes quickly but VS 2003 and half a dozen multi GB SDK installs takes a while, then apache + config, IIS config, mysql, php, just so much)

lol all this time I thought subst was deprecated. I remember using in it Dos 5.0, and then in Dos 6.0 it disappeared, and since then assumed it was gone

Glad I could help :)

If I were you I would have one big partition for my OS and my apps. Then I'd use an imaging tool and grab an image of all that work you did to get your PC to a "working" status. If you keep the same exact MB layout you wouldn't need to "sysprep" it first. I skip sysprep when I know specific hardware will never change.

Then you can more quickly get back to a working status. Obviously keep the data files you work on and create/edit on another location(or drive) to keep it seperate and run or burn backups.

--FYI I'm not starting another partition theory thread here, just specific info for (oops I meant Suicidal Insanity)

Wouldn't be that applicable for me, I generally format so seldomly that half the apps I install have been patched :/

Or assign multiple mount points in Disk Management. ;)

Right click my computer, Manage, Disk Management, drive, change drive letter assignments.
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Ranma_Sao said:

Right click my computer, Manage, Disk Management, drive, change drive letter assignments.
You know... I suggested that in another thread and got owned by subst (it's easier, more direct, and some people know it). Honestly I though subst was done away with due to mount points. I actually used this command eons ago to fool many a game which assumed d:\ was the CD drive. Oops, not supposed to talk about that stuff. :eek:

Of course that was DOS 5.x, don't think it'll trick any current application. ^.^

Anyways, that begges the question, what advantages do mount points offer vs subst?

Ranma_Sao said:

either I'm blind, or win2000 is too old, but when I click on a partition, and "add / edit drive letters and directories", I cant add a second drive letter, its grayed out.

Phoenix86 said:
You know... I suggested that in another thread and got owned by subst (it's easier, more direct, and some people know it). Honestly I though subst was done away with due to mount points. I actually used this command eons ago to fool many a game which assumed d:\ was the CD drive. Oops, not supposed to talk about that stuff. :eek:

Of course that was DOS 5.x, don't think it'll trick any current application. ^.^

Anyways, that begges the question, what advantages do mount points offer vs subst?
They will last across reboots for one. ;) Mount points are also multiple users, subst is not.

As to the Windows 2000 problem, it "should" work.

I need to add the fact that he's right, subst will not stay through a reboot but I remedy that by:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
"somevalue"="subst d: c:\\ddrive"

Update it as necessary to fit your needs, then dump it into a .reg file and run it.

Back