Multiple Domains Possible

Mystcl1012

n00b
Ok so here it goes. I have a branch of users who want to have their own network with a different domain separate from our current network. Would it be possible to setup a new windows server with a different domain within our existing domain using one internet connection? Basically we would be working off of one public IP address, but with different private IP address ranges to separate the network. Or would it be just easier to just to add in an additional internet connection, a T1 line, and just create their own network/domain that way?

Our current domain is a windows server 2003 domain working off of a T1 connection. If you need any additional information I will provide that.

You can setup another domain. You'll need to decide though if it'll be a child domain to the existing one or an additional domain in the forest (you'll need to setup a forest for that.)

Or you could just simplify it by using upn suffixes. Allows them to log in as their own domain with out you having the expese of new dcs and etc
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

You seem to be combining logical separation with physical separation. What exactly are you trying to do? Are you set on making an entirely new windows domain (he already has a forest by default)? What are the reasons that you feel an entirely new domain is necessary? Perhaps there is a much simpler, and better way.

You seem to be combining logical separation with physical separation. What exactly are you trying to do? Are you set on making an entirely new windows domain (he already has a forest by default)? What are the reasons that you feel an entirely new domain is necessary? Perhaps there is a much simpler, and better way.
I would further add that a separate domain does not necessitate separate subnets/broadcast domains and it's own internet connection.

I think we could provide a great deal of help if we had more details.

Sorry for the lack of information. As this was brought to my attention just recently with not much detail as to what they want. Basically what I gather right now is that they want to beseparate from our current network. There will be no way of them being able to communicate with pcs on our current network. They want to have their own specific domain and own email, [email protected].

Im all for simplicity. If there is a way to add a different domain to the forest within our existing domain, and separate the two networks while using the existing T1 line would be great.

seperate subnet and have them be a new domain in the same forest. If you really want simplicity give them a upn suffix and then they become [email protected] you can aslo setup exchange to do the same for those folks too. It appears that really you just have a domain trust between the new domain and the existing. You still get the managent of the pcs and users
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Back