Multiple DNS servers

LM3

[H]ard|Gawd
We installed a new wireless router ( TENDA AC18 1900 ROUTER) to handle the routing behind our FIOS Actiontec MI424WR modem router. I now have 2 subnets with 2 DNS servers. I now seem to have a big delay accessing drives on the other computers on my Windows network. Could this be causing a problem?

k9oKvJu.jpg

Those look like they are on the same subnet?

192.168.1.100 and 192.168.1.30

Also, why are your DNS servers getting addresses from DHCP? DNS servers should always be static.

You are double-natting with the two routers chained like that (natting twice, two firewalls, etc). Not an ideal setup.
You may have a lot of delays and random problems with that config.

Everything on the ISP router regarding router functions (firewall, DNS, LAN DHCP, etc.) should be turned off (ie. "bridge mode").
Use the modem as a modem, and use the router as a router.

With both boxes configured properly, the Tenda router should have a public IP from the ISP, not a private 192.168.xxx.xxx IP.

ETA: Once configured properly, don't use any of the LAN ports on the ISP router box for any LAN
computers. You'll only be using a single port for the WAN port on your Tenda box.

If you run out of LAN ports on the Tenda, then get a switch.

ETA#2: Another possible solution is to not use the router functions on the Tenda. You could give it a LAN IP of 192.168.1.254 (same subnet as ISP box)
and turn off LAN DHCP. Then connect one of the LAN ports of the Tenda to one of the LAN ports on the ISP box.
You would not connect the Tenda WAN port at all in this case.

In that case, all LAN ports on both boxes would be usable too.

One more thing I thought of.....

Turn off the wireless function on the ISP box if you are adding your own wireless router.
You can get interference and slower speeds with the two boxes both doing wifi.

Last edited:
Back