Multiple Display Edge Barrier

When you have multiple displays of differing resolutions, the cursor will get stuck at the top most or bottom most edges while trying to transition from the bigger monitor to the smaller one. For example, if one monitor is 1600 pixels tall and the other is 1200 pixels tall, there will be a 400 pixel "barrier" on the bigger monitor that prevents the cursor from crossing. There appears to be some rule that the monitors have to be the same height to properly map the cursor position while transitioning.

I was wondering if there's a way to disable the "barrier", and just have the cursor "warp" to the other monitor instead of getting stuck?

Did that make sense? It's a little tricky to explain without pictures, but I'm sure you guys know what I mean.

So many views, no replies. :(

Here's a picture to clear up what I'm talking about. The mouse gets blocked at the circled red edges. I just want to know if there's any software I can use to allow the mouse to pass through these barriers.

uxqt5.png

Have you used DisplayFusion Pro?

If you have not, I suggest checking it out. Very worth the $, imho.

I imagine the author would be open to implementing this feature, or at least giving you an explanation why such a feature is not feasible / practical.

I could see some issues with multiple monitors stacked, and next to each other - where does the cursor "warp" to?

Anyway, I personally just use careful positioning in windows (and portrait orientation side monitors) to avoid this problem pretty much entirely.

Good luck, and let us know if you find anything promising...

I'm using the free version of DisplayFusion for different wallpapers on the monitors, which works great. I didn't see any option to remove edge boundaries. Definitely not a huge deal, I just figured I would ask in case I was missing something obvious.

I haven't encountered anything that would allow for what you're asking either. At work, I have 2 1920x1200's stacked with a 1680x1050 off to the left side. I had to do a little fine adjustment in the display properties and move the 1680x1050 up/down to adjust for my mouse movements so it wouldn't 'catch'. Outside of that, I think you'll "mentally adjust" and move the mouse up or down that little extra to get around the barriers.

I don't know of a way to completely fix it, but if you tend to use one versus the other (top vs bottom for example) you should be able to drag monitor #1 up so the top lines up. That way it should line up properly at the top and you'll only notice it (albeit twice as bad) at the bottom.

it could be "fixed" by a simple script that automatically moves the cursor once you touch one the edges
but you'd have to check the current cursor position on every single mousemove event

windows multi-monitor support is really horrible in general

Back