• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Multiple core clocks on G70?

trinibwoy

2[H]4U
Joined
Apr 25, 2005
Messages
2,090
Saw this being discussed at B3D and decided to post here as well.

http://www.guru3d.com/newsitem.php?id=2827

As it looks right now, we will have to drop the idea of 2 frequency clocks on the G70 card (core/memory). What is going on with that 40 MHz differential ? We currently think that the Pixel and Vertex pipes or triangle setup might be clocked differently to explain that differential. Or even Shader Clock 430 MHz/Rop Clock:430MHz/Geometry Clock:470MHz.

Nvidia said:
As our chips become more advanced, we are implementing more complex clocking inside the chip. 430MHz is the primary clock speed of the chip and can be verified by fill rate tests. We will work with Rivatuner to read the correct registers in order to report the right clock.
 
A self overclocking chip thats sweet or at least thats what it sounds like to me.
 
Maybe Rivatuner just isn't reading the clocks properly? :confused:
 
coz said:
Maybe Rivatuner just isn't reading the clocks properly? :confused:

It looks like a combination of Nvidia doing something fancy with the clocks and 3dmark and rivatuner not knowing how to report it. Hopefully we'll see an updated Rivatuner soon.
 
Yeah, it could very easily be RivaTuner reading something wrong....but I'd be interested in knowing if Kyle could try the experiment with his spiffy new GTX to check how it does.

I'm curious if the higher clock goes even higher, or if the speedbump delta is the same.

It's interesting, but it's still in the early stages of the investigation...my fave part.

(Oh btw, I hate you for that GTX Kyle!!! I was so jealous reading your early morning post. ;) )

EDITED BITS: Never mind, I noticed the Guru3D tests are done on a GTX. :oops:
 
Personally I wouldn't get so caught up in these details.

The gaming performance speaks for itself with these cards.

I haven't had any problems using coolbits to overclock.
 
ive been using coolbits and it overclocks it fine. i did notice that 3dmark reports the clock way higher than it is.
 
Me too... 3dmark05 shows my card at 554 when it is at 514 so who knows! All I do know is this card is fast as hell.
 
Brent_Justice said:
Personally I wouldn't get so caught up in these details.

The gaming performance speaks for itself with these cards.

I haven't had any problems using coolbits to overclock.
Coolbits said my core speed was 275MHz until I restored defaults. Now its at 460MHz
:D
 
lee63 said:
Coolbits said my core speed was 275MHz until I restored defaults. Now its at 460MHz
:D

275 is the 2D speed, you don't need to mess with that

you just enable overclocking and use the pull down menu to select the 3D speed
 
Brent_Justice said:
275 is the 2D speed, you don't need to mess with that

you just enable overclocking and use the pull down menu to select the 3D speed
Cool Thanx
:D
 
digitalwanderer said:
(Oh btw, I hate you for that GTX Kyle!!! I was so jealous reading your early morning post. ;) )


Actually Brent still has all the GTX. I still have a watercooled 6800GT in my personal box. It fits my needs pretty well, although I am itching to see BF2 with the new AA smoothing out those trees. Soon.
 
Also, just for the record in doing some testing with the BFGTech 7800 GTX OC which has a default 460MHz clock speed I saw a correct fillrate increase over a standard 7800 GTX at 430MHz. As we recieve more cards I'll make sure to test that fillrate is increasing with the clock speed as it should.
 
Back
Top