Multiple Computers; 1 house; who will die?!

Master Bob

Limp Gawd
I need some advice on my home network. This is the current setup:
  • Cable Modem -> 2 Wire Router (with phone connector -> WiFi Netgear WGR614 v6
  • 2 Desktops hardwired to the 2Wire Router
  • 1 computerdesktop using telephone
  • 2 laptops + occasional third on wifi

Now all the equipment is in the basement and the desktop, connected via telephone, is on the second story, almost directly above the modem.

I was thinking of replacing it with the following:
Cable Modem -> D-Link DIR-825 or TRENDnet TEW-633GR
+
Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 (using DD-WRT) as a wireless repeater near the upstairs computer.

I have a budget of about 175 (pre-shipping) for this. My only question is whether or not this was a good plan or not?

I figure using a wired connection on the upstairs computer to a router (either as a wireless bridge or as a repeater) is a good idea to avoid driver issues.

EDIT:
Instead of the Buffalo WHR-HP-G54, I'm going to go with one of the following DD-WRT compatible routers/wifi:
BUFFALO WHR-G300N - ~$70 (No support for WDS)
D-Link DIR-600 - ~$46
D-Link DIR-615 - $40 (DD-WRT is a Work In Progress)
Linksys WRT160N - ~$56
Netgear WNR834B - ~$67 (WDS Supported)

for their N support.

Last edited:
They will all die.
This is life.

After doing further research I'm gunning for getting a Linksys WRT610N in the basement and then a Netgear WNR834B for the 2nd story computer, to either act as a wireless bridge or a WDS station. Both of these routers are Broadcom based, as such I don't 'forsee' any problems in the WDS connection.

Now, I guess my only concern / question is whether there will be enough signal from the basement WRT610N to the WNR834B, for either WDS or Wireless bridging. Using my Macbook and a BCM94321MC wireless card I get an average signal of 56 using KisMac near where I'd place the WNR834B.

Back