Multiplayer gaming sucks

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a feeling the OP more than likely had a very bad experience in an MP. Which is obvious, it happens to everybody, except in this case the OP has retreated into his own confines and decided to conjure up such a hateful thread, instead of learning how to compete in a competitive game. My guess is he probably got berated for doing something stupid or incorrectly in a competitive match which hurt his precious little feelings. To me the OP sounds like a casual gamer, he games to "not be stressed out" and associates that with MP, that is to say there aren't any stressful SP games? Clearly, OP doesn't like challenging games because he doesn't like being stressed(there are good stressors and there are bad stressors and simply using your mind to make a heavy weighted choice is a stressor) I would recommend to him a game which requires no skill or anything that brings about a challenge, perhaps a game like Dear Esther would fit the bill. The OP also sounds anti-social, simply cringing when people talk on the mic sounds like a personal issue. I mean I cringe at people on the mic as well, but annoying, gaudy people...regular folk are okay.

Reading this thread, again and again, folks like you just reinforce why I don't play MP. It's not because I cant whoop ass, it's because I grew up and realized that the vast majority of people who play online aren't worth my time to be around.
It truly is entertaining how so many people have the same attitude and mindset, yet are incapable of seeing the fact that since they all share the same traits, that might actually be the reason people don't want to be around them.

My best friend will sit there and argue that he doesn't do anything annoying, isn't immature - and when he gets into CSS, the moron screams, plays music over the mic, shit talks like a little child, rage quits and slams mice and keyboards, and generally becomes a very unpleasant person to be around. But he doesn't recognize that he acts like a douchebag when playing, and refutes it, even when I made a recording of him being a moron. That's one of those other things in common with this mindest of person - incapable of recognizing that your personality alone is enough to keep people away.
I have no joy playing a game with someone who has an attitude like this, and I got sick and tired of looking for that tiny group of adults in any game community.

I play coop, or if I play a competitive game, I only do it with friends on my team, because I disable game chat and use Skype. I don't want to listen to vast majority of any multiplayer community - the less than 1% useful information that makes its way over that chat isn't worth listening to some moron screaming penisdicksuckcockbag or play some absolutely atrocious music that nobody ever wanted to hear. Shit, I even disable text chat if I can - I don't want to interact personally with that part of any community.

Reading this thread, again and again, folks like you just reinforce why I don't play MP. It's not because I cant whoop ass, it's because I grew up and realized that the vast majority of people who play online aren't worth my time to be around.
It truly is entertaining how so many people have the same attitude and mindset, yet are incapable of seeing the fact that since they all share the same traits, that might actually be the reason people don't want to be around them.

My best friend will sit there and argue that he doesn't do anything annoying, isn't immature - and when he gets into CSS, the moron screams, plays music over the mic, shit talks like a little child, rage quits and slams mice and keyboards, and generally becomes a very unpleasant person to be around. But he doesn't recognize that he acts like a douchebag when playing, and refutes it, even when I made a recording of him being a moron. That's one of those other things in common with this mindest of person - incapable of recognizing that your personality alone is enough to keep people away.
I have no joy playing a game with someone who has an attitude like this, and I got sick and tired of looking for that tiny group of adults in any game community.

I play coop, or if I play a competitive game, I only do it with friends on my team, because I disable game chat and use Skype. I don't want to listen to vast majority of any multiplayer community - the less than 1% useful information that makes its way over that chat isn't worth listening to some moron screaming penisdicksuckcockbag or play some absolutely atrocious music that nobody ever wanted to hear. Shit, I even disable text chat if I can - I don't want to interact personally with that part of any community.

What you have described are many of the reasons that PC gamers should be up in arms whenever companies like Activision, DICE/EA, etc., decide to release their multiplayer games without a dedicated server client, or a client without admin tools/controls. When server operators have very little control over their environments it becomes nearly impossible to weed out the undesirables and foster the kind of playing environment you want.

The best MP experiences I've had have been when a community builds itself around a game (or multiple games). This becomes harder and harder to do as developers release games with no mod tools, no admin tools, no server clients, etc. The focus on "quick play" and "quick match" match-making options are decent for generating server traffic, but if you can't really control or 'police' your own environment then all those options do is shuttle the unwashed masses into your house.

Source2 can't come soon enough.

I like MP because the gameplay is variable. SP becomes predictable after the first 2 hours.
I no longer have the competitive desire, but I still enjoy a well balanced match where the score stays close to the end.

Racing MP is also extremely fun.

I stopped playing with mics years ago, even on consoles. Silence is the best way to enjoy the game, or with your friend(s) mic on only.

MP is great for the human element...beating other 'humans' is more fun then beating an AI...but the human element is also its biggest weakness (cheats/hacks)

That's odd, you must be emotionally scarred or just afraid. For someone who claims to avoid general multiplayer communities as discussed you sure do seem to have a lot to say about it. I definitely play in a competitive environment much more than you do and have 0 complaints, even with all the immature and newbie passerby's. I'd love to invite you to a game that I love dearly to play competitively so just that you can judge how my online persona is, because you honestly do not know what type of "folk" I am. I seriously consider myself a laid back and polite player. I implore you to challenge that.

I really only play multiplayer games. That said, the online community has changed since I got on the scene in the late 90s. The in thing to do now is be the biggest d-bag ever and troll. What happened to good ole corpse camping/griefing that I grew up with? That use to be enough. Although the behavior of people has changed I still enjoy multiplayer more now than ever.

I've never cared for multiplayer games. I'm into games for the story, puzzles and thought processes. Most multiplayer that i've played is mostly find 'em shoot 'em. Boring and unsatisfying. Never played a coop game. I cant say i'm even into games as much with AI companion though i did enjoy Bioshock Infinite. Im an only child and while i'm married with 2 kids and I do hang out with non-gaming friends, i'm very much a loner and i like my games that way.

That's odd, you must be emotionally scarred or just afraid. For someone who claims to avoid general multiplayer communities as discussed you sure do seem to have a lot to say about it. I definitely play in a competitive environment much more than you do and have 0 complaints, even with all the immature and newbie passerby's. I'd love to invite you to a game that I love dearly to play competitively so just that you can judge how my online persona is, because you honestly do not know what type of "folk" I am. I seriously consider myself a laid back and polite player. I implore you to challenge that.

My statement implied that I used to be heavily into it, as well as the fact that I talk about my past experiences and how I got tired of looking for the mature groups in games... You know, something you do when you play them online?
The statement " it's because I grew up" is an implication that I used to play and stopped when I realized just how tiring it was to deal with so many immature folks.

Basic reading comprehension is a skill all mature people should have and exercise - you're not helping your case. I don't play games with people who cant understand what is being said in the correct context when it's all there. Welcome back to the group I lumped you into, it's got a lot of people to keep you company - you're not bad people, just not my kind of people!

Last edited:
How can other people ruin a game for you? Mute them, put them on ignore, etc. It's that easy. If a game is full of retards, just switch to a new server.

My statement implied that I used to be heavily into it, as well as the fact that I talk about my past experiences and how I got tired of looking for the mature groups in games... You know, something you do when you play them online?
The statement " it's because I grew up" is an implication that I used to play and stopped when I realized just how tiring it was to deal with so many immature folks.

Basic reading comprehension is a skill all mature people should have and exercise - you're not helping your case. I don't play games with people who cant understand what is being said in the correct context when it's all there. Welcome back to the group I lumped you into, it's got a lot of people to keep you company - you're not bad people, just not my kind of people!

How ironic because you fail to comprehend the fact that I acknowledged why you don't come back to the MP scene with my implication "emotionally scarred or afraid". You speak in past tense, hence why I said "you sure do seem to have a lot to say about it" which is being sarcastic, because presently there's no way you know jack shit about the general MP scene, because you do not participate in it, therefore your irrelevant past experiences say nothing how you may experience it today. Perhaps you avoiding my attempt to have a friendly game with a fellow [H] was for the better because you seem to be a very difficult person. Have a good one, I am done with you :) You may go back to your secluded virtual corner now.

How can other people ruin a game for you? Mute them, put them on ignore, etc. It's that easy. If a game is full of retards, just switch to a new server.

Very very easily. I have neither the time nor patience to hunt through 100 servers to find a single good group in multiplayer games. I play games to have fun. I don't play them to deal with assholes. If I'm not having fun in the game then there is literally no reason for me to bother. If I have to spend half an hour hunting around for a good server just to find people who aren't complete douche bags I'm going to find something else to do because I will get frustrated long before that. Maybe if I got into the big games early and got involved in some of the [H] groups it would be different, but as it is I just have little interest in dealing with the general gamer community.

How ironic because you fail to comprehend the fact that I acknowledged why you don't come back to the MP scene with my implication "emotionally scarred or afraid". You speak in past tense, hence why I said "you sure do seem to have a lot to say about it" which is being sarcastic, because presently there's no way you know jack shit about the general MP scene, because you do not participate in it, therefore your irrelevant past experiences say nothing how you may experience it today. Perhaps you avoiding my attempt to have a friendly game with a fellow [H] was for the better because you seem to be a very difficult person. Have a good one, I am done with you :) You may go back to your secluded virtual corner now.

I love my corner, and am glad to be in it. I can keep the rest of you back with a pointy stick.

I'm also quite positive the MP community hasn't changed in ~2 years. It hasn't changed for 8 years before that, and only got worse as time went by. When I have 8 years of history that are all going downhill to draw on, I don't need to play currently to know that the trend has continued.

As I pointed out, I only play with my friends now. You're in the group of people I have no interest in playing games with.

Your post did not indicate in any way that you comprehended the fact that I have experience and history, beyond the snide remark about being emotionally scarred or afraid, which is a normal response from the type of people I have no interest in playing games with. I clearly explained why I have no interest in playing games, and you cant figure out that it has nothing to do with that. Cant be the thousands of morons over a decade that I dealt with and slowly grew tired of. No... Never... Its ONE instance.

All you have done is again reinforce why people who are part of the general MP community are not people I have interest in playing games with.

Very very easily. I have neither the time nor patience to hunt through 100 servers to find a single good group in multiplayer games. I play games to have fun. I don't play them to deal with assholes. If I'm not having fun in the game then there is literally no reason for me to bother. If I have to spend half an hour hunting around for a good server just to find people who aren't complete douche bags I'm going to find something else to do because I will get frustrated long before that. Maybe if I got into the big games early and got involved in some of the [H] groups it would be different, but as it is I just have little interest in dealing with the general gamer community.

Where are all these douche bags and morons? When I play online, it takes me a minute or two to find a good server. I never play with a dedicated group of people unless it's something like an ARPG (PoE/D3).

How's the saying go? If everyone you run into is an asshole...

Where are all these douche bags and morons? When I play online, it takes me a minute or two to find a good server. I never play with a dedicated group of people unless it's something like an ARPG (PoE/D3).

It's a personal viewpoint. I may have a server full of people I love, and you might join and think they're all assholes. If you're more tolerant, you can join a much wider array of servers and find them acceptable than someone who is incredibly picky about who they play with. This is why people who stand there and say "Theres no assholes" aren't wrong - they're just far more "like" minded with that group than someone who sees assholes everywhere. Sorta like how a nerd can chill with nerds and not realize it, but someone standing outside the group would be all like "Nerds!!!"

Last edited:

Exactly, there may be the few trolls and dumbasses you come across, unless you're antisocial or something or are a tad bit too serious online and can't get along with strangers, then yeah I can see why you wouldn't want to participate in any communities. But to avoid online gaming using "immature" players is an exaggerated excuse.

Exactly, there may be the few trolls and dumbasses you come across, unless you're antisocial or something or are a tad bit too serious online and can't get along with strangers, then yeah I can see why you wouldn't want to participate in any communities. But to avoid online gaming using "immature" players is an exaggerated excuse.

People in general annoy me very quickly. Especially in team games. I'm aware I'm not that great at shooters until I get used to the game and it's guns and the maps. Even then I'm not a competitive person and simply couldn't give less of a crap if I win or if my team wins, that seems to piss a lot of people off. I just play to have fun.

As for me running into assholes: A couple weeks ago a couple friends and I were loading up some ME3 multiplayer and it has been like six months since I last played so when we got into the ready screen I had to refamiliarize myself with the classes, weapons, items, etc that I had. The random guy that popped in tried to have me kicked because I was "taking too long" even though the game will force you to start anyway if you are holding everyone up.

People wanted to know why I don't want to play online games with random people? Take a peek, this exchange here is why. It starts with someone claiming I'm emtionally scarred, ignoring and failing to comprehend the post and reasons why I don't play online. They're sarcastic, suggest things I already stated I don't do, and when they're confronted over how they're wrong, they just decide it's over and no longer participate in a discussion they personally started by being somewhat rude and condescending.

BETA, the reason you don't see the same problems in MP that I do is because you have proven yourself to be the exact type of person I don't play games with, thus the same things that annoy me, will not annoy you. However, you, instead of accepting that, seemed to have an issue with the fact that I dont like the same type of gamer as you do.

People in general annoy me very quickly. Especially in team games. I'm aware I'm not that great at shooters until I get used to the game and it's guns and the maps. Even then I'm not a competitive person and simply couldn't give less of a crap if I win or if my team wins, that seems to piss a lot of people off. I just play to have fun.

As for me running into assholes: A couple weeks ago a couple friends and I were loading up some ME3 multiplayer and it has been like six months since I last played so when we got into the ready screen I had to refamiliarize myself with the classes, weapons, items, etc that I had. The random guy that popped in tried to have me kicked because I was "taking too long" even though the game will force you to start anyway if you are holding everyone up.

Yeah. We all see things in a different light. I can easily ignore the assholes that waste my time or find constructive ways getting right of them :D. I've gotten to know a server owner in the game I play and if I am in the server when no authority is there with some trolls or assholes, sure enough the owner is a message away to take care of things. But these are really rare instances nowadays for me, even in a game like CS:GO.

I think the people that annoy me in MP are in the minority but there's enough of them to make me want to avoid them. It's kind of like an unstable game, I can deal with an occasional CTD in a game but if it happens often enough it ruins the game for me and I stop playing it. I would probably enjoy playing MP with friends but it's hard to find a time that works for everyone and then it becomes a commitment and one of the things I like about games is the ability to play when I want to.

I thought there were more hardcore gamers on this forum. This thread is downright pathetic.

I suppose this forum was always more about PC hardware and building than gaming, so I shouldn't be surprised.

And I thought there were more mature people on this forum. I guess we were both wrong.

If playing CoD is what's considered "hardcore" then I weep for gaming. And this generation as a whole.

Does anyone else here hate multiplayer games/modes? I used to play some, but wow have I grown out of it. I just feel like there are too many basement living virgins who play 24/7 to have fun anymore. Also most games have this weird 'e-sport' vibe going on with them, like it's the biggest deal in the world if they win at a video game or not. Oh and hearing people over a mic, it just makes me cringe.

I've moved strictly to single player games and couldn't be happier. I don't have to worry about dealing with that trash, and I can enjoy games at my own pace. I'm also 32 years old though and don't have this inherent need to 'pwn noobs' to get off in life. I also don't game to feel stressed out, which is what multiplayer does to me.

What say you? What makes you multiplayers stick with it? I know what the #1 answer is going to be...because humans make different decisions than AI does. My answer is, so what?

I just played a random BFBC2 round and I think there is 90% chance you usually end up with a score similar to the other 3 players in my squad (or worse).

I have a friend like this, tried hard to play BF3 with him but frustrating shooter games like BF, COD and CS isn’t his type. he currently plays SMITE, Natural Selection 2,Survarium ALPHA, Warframe if you’re interested. I personally play TF2 (mostly engi) when I want to chill without caring about k/d, objective, unbalanced servers, AFk's, clueless noobs, campers, nolife virgins playing 24/7, etc.

edit: lol another round

Last edited:
You just have to start playing more online co op games, go get yourself a Risk of Rain quad pack or something and have a blast with your friends. Leave the basement dwellers alone to their own devices.

It's rare for me to run into an asshole in my MP games. We have a guild of good people on Path of Exile, my Dark Souls experiences have been 95% positive, even in QuakeLive and BFBC2 it's rare for me to find someone who is intolerable.

I did have a guy harass me on Dark Souls last weekend. I accidentally booted him off a ledge before he bowed (pvp). I sent an apology and he sent me like 10 messages all pissed off, calling me a scumbag.

And I thought there were more mature people on this forum. I guess we were both wrong.

If playing CoD is what's considered "hardcore" then I weep for gaming. And this generation as a whole.

I'm saying that the people in this thread sound like a bunch of crying scrubs. If you don't want to play with other people, then don't. It's not the game. It's not the community. It's YOU. If other people ruin a game for you, that's your choice. It really has nothing to do with them because you can ignore them or not play with them. You choose to allow one of the few morons out there ruin something that is fun.

I truly feel sorry for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back