Lets talk multiplayer games. Please list your favorites! Please don't ridicule other peoples lists. The idea is to share suggestions.
My favorite MP games. I'd give every game on this list a 10 out of 10 based strictly on total hours played. Even if I regret some of them. Minimum 500 hours per title.
Everquest series - Everquest was my first MMO in high school, corpse runs were sadistic and awesome. This was the start of TRUE video game addiction.
Counter Strike Series - Countless hours of 1.2 to 1.4, then again at Source, haven't tried GO yet.
Battlefield Series - BF1942, BF2, BF3, BF4, BC2... All terrific games. The high water of Multiplayer FPS.
World of Warcraft - I lost a giant chunk of my 20s to this game and regret a lot of it but the Burning Crusade Arenas and organized PVP were magical.
Left 4 Dead Series - If you missed this one I feel sorry for you. MP masterpiece.
League of Legends - Played it to death... amazing game, bad community so bring your own.
Diablo Series - A sort of recent discovery, preferred Torchlight 2 until ROS came out. Jay Wilson is a bad man. ROS is awesome.
Honorable mention:
One Must Fall: 2097 - Giant robot fighting game and the first online PC game I ever played on the internet with my buddies. (On a dial up modem, in 1994).
Duke Nukem (1991) - My friends and I would rent lan gaming halls to play this and...
Doom/Quake Series - Really great MP but didn't improve with evolution.
Warcraft 3 mods - The original DOTA, tower defense and survival mods.
Civilization series - Totally unreliable online experience for a game that deserves so, so much better. Civ 5 was a breath of fresh air (I never played the others) and I can't wait for Beyond Earth.
Torchlight series - So many great ideas stolen and put in the superior Diablo: 3 Reaper of Souls.
Halo 1: The first PC game had awesome maps for competitive clans, series dropped the ball after that.
Day of Defeat - Really great game that never evolved.
Didn't like:
Borderlands Series: Just found it repetitive and boring
Day Z: Just found it boring and repetitive.
Team Fortress Series: I don't know why, I just can't get into it. Tried many times.
Planetside - Too big, difficult to get into.
I'm excited for:
Dragon Age 3 - The Four player co-op looks really cool. I couldn't get into the previous Dragon Age games because they were single player. Seems like a 4 player co-op third person dungeon crawler, awesome!
Civilization: Beyond Earth - Hopefully the multiplayer is more stable and has more functionality.
Unreal Tournament - I've never really played any Unreal Tournament games... think I'll try some.
Dying Light - A new take on L4D, I'm 100% into this!
My favorite MP games. I'd give every game on this list a 10 out of 10 based strictly on total hours played. Even if I regret some of them. Minimum 500 hours per title.
Everquest series - Everquest was my first MMO in high school, corpse runs were sadistic and awesome. This was the start of TRUE video game addiction.
Counter Strike Series - Countless hours of 1.2 to 1.4, then again at Source, haven't tried GO yet.
Battlefield Series - BF1942, BF2, BF3, BF4, BC2... All terrific games. The high water of Multiplayer FPS.
World of Warcraft - I lost a giant chunk of my 20s to this game and regret a lot of it but the Burning Crusade Arenas and organized PVP were magical.
Left 4 Dead Series - If you missed this one I feel sorry for you. MP masterpiece.
League of Legends - Played it to death... amazing game, bad community so bring your own.
Diablo Series - A sort of recent discovery, preferred Torchlight 2 until ROS came out. Jay Wilson is a bad man. ROS is awesome.
Honorable mention:
One Must Fall: 2097 - Giant robot fighting game and the first online PC game I ever played on the internet with my buddies. (On a dial up modem, in 1994).
Duke Nukem (1991) - My friends and I would rent lan gaming halls to play this and...
Doom/Quake Series - Really great MP but didn't improve with evolution.
Warcraft 3 mods - The original DOTA, tower defense and survival mods.
Civilization series - Totally unreliable online experience for a game that deserves so, so much better. Civ 5 was a breath of fresh air (I never played the others) and I can't wait for Beyond Earth.
Torchlight series - So many great ideas stolen and put in the superior Diablo: 3 Reaper of Souls.
Halo 1: The first PC game had awesome maps for competitive clans, series dropped the ball after that.
Day of Defeat - Really great game that never evolved.
Didn't like:
Borderlands Series: Just found it repetitive and boring
Day Z: Just found it boring and repetitive.
Team Fortress Series: I don't know why, I just can't get into it. Tried many times.
Planetside - Too big, difficult to get into.
I'm excited for:
Dragon Age 3 - The Four player co-op looks really cool. I couldn't get into the previous Dragon Age games because they were single player. Seems like a 4 player co-op third person dungeon crawler, awesome!
Civilization: Beyond Earth - Hopefully the multiplayer is more stable and has more functionality.
Unreal Tournament - I've never really played any Unreal Tournament games... think I'll try some.
Dying Light - A new take on L4D, I'm 100% into this!
Last edited: