Multimeter Readings?

[em]HEAT

Limp Gawd
Joined
Mar 13, 2004
Messages
312
Ok, I bought a Multimeter from RadioShack so I could see if the sensor on my mobo was bad. My mobo reads my 12v rail as outputting only 10v's. There are a bunch of selections on the multimeter to set it to when testing but I'm not sure which one to have it set on. I'll attach a picture so you can see all of the options to select from. I just need to know which one to put it on to test my 12v rail voltages.

multimeter2.JPG
 
Well, something definetly isn't right. I tested a molex coming right off of the PSU and the readings say 5.20. WTH?
 
You could be measuring the +5V or -5V line, where 5.20V is within the 5% spec. ;)

The two middle pins are ground, the end pins are either 12V or 5V, depending on how you look at it. Stick the black lead into the ground pin, and move the red lead around until you get either the 12V or 5V lines.
 
_Korruption_ said:
You could be measuring the +5V or -5V line, where 5.20V is within the 5% spec. ;)

The two middle pins are ground, the end pins are either 12V or 5V, depending on how you look at it. Stick the black lead into the ground pin, and move the red lead around until you get either the 12V or 5V lines.

Trying now.
 
Seems the sensor on the mobo is fubared. It's reading 10.5 and the multimeter reads 12.5. With that being said I guess I could assume the temp readings are just as screwed huh?
 
What kind of power supply is running all that? You have an FX-55, so I will be supremely disappointed if I hear you running some bunk generic unit! ;) 12.5 is definitely overvolting...

(I'd trust the multimeter, if it was used properly of course)
 
PSU color code, Red wires=+5 v, Yellow wires=+12v, Orange wires=+3.3v, black= ground, blue = -5v, brown= -12v BTW, 12v +5% = 12.6, so that high, but just under the wire for basic compliance.
 
Back
Top