Multimedia Netoworking Homebrew?

ewokninja

n00b
what is the cheapest easiest way to network the video and audio from my pc to my TV and stereo I have a wireless 802.11 b / G router ... something like a slingbox but on the cheap?

I went with the orginal Xbox soft mod'ed to use Xbox Media Center with my file server holding all the content.

You can pick up a used xbox for around 100 bucks. If you don't want to deal with the mod'ing check places like Craigslist for pre-mod'ed boxes in the range of 80 to 200 depending on the level of mods (straight soft mod for XBMC, or more involved setups like 160gig hard drives added).

EDIT:
Might as well link to the howto while I'm at it.
http://www.productwiki.com/microsof..._xbox_to_xbox_media_center_in_30_minutes.html

Xbox would be the cheapest and easiest way to get the results you want. Other than that, you'd be looking at a computer setup which can get expensive quickly. Stick with the above post.

::EDIT:: www.xbox-scene.com everything you'd ever want to know, and more, about the xbox modding and homebrew software scene.

There is also media players from D-Link :

D-Link DSM-520
D-Link DSM-320

Both are wireless with support for 802.11g protocol. Your topic made me check this and I'm now interested into buying one as well since my file/media server is not in the living room but in the basement and I need something simple to access files remotely.

Xilikon said:
There is also media players from D-Link :

The biggest problem I've read about with devices similar to these is the limited selection of
files they can/will play. Definately dig around the net for user reviews before picking one up.

Also the 520 does WPA-PSK were the 320 only does WEP.

Malk-a-mite said:
The biggest problem I've read about with devices similar to these is the limited selection of
files they can/will play. Definately dig around the net for user reviews before picking one up.

Also the 520 does WPA-PSK were the 320 only does WEP.

You have a point about limited selection, but if you want to stream some videos/audio with the best results, you should reencode files to a compatible format anyway. The biggest issue with those players is limited support for DVD menus and akward replaying of DVD files.

Malk-a-mite said:
I went with the orginal Xbox soft mod'ed to use Xbox Media Center with my file server holding all the content.

You can pick up a used xbox for around 100 bucks. If you don't want to deal with the mod'ing check places like Craigslist for pre-mod'ed boxes in the range of 80 to 200 depending on the level of mods (straight soft mod for XBMC, or more involved setups like 160gig hard drives added).

EDIT:
Might as well link to the howto while I'm at it.
http://www.productwiki.com/microsof..._xbox_to_xbox_media_center_in_30_minutes.html

This got me thinking what a about a PS2 based media center ... I already have the hard drive/ network card installed

Back