multi system software bandwidth monitoring?

LadyJaqie

I Have No Title
I am running a DSL connection for a family of eight. We are running quite a heavy load on our poor new DSL line...

Right now for bandwidth monitoring, I am using netstats live from www.analogx.com but it's cludgy to say the least. Is there any program that allows me to install it onto client computers, and monitor bandwidth from each system in/out on other systems? I.E. run a window on my workstation that shows the bandwidth usage on each system and aggregates. If it can seperate LAN traffic from WAN traffic that would be even better. BTW we all run windows 2000 professional.

I can *NOT* spend money on new hardware right now, so it has to be a software solution. we are running a D link DI-614+ which does not have bandwidth monitor features, but other then that it is quite good enough for what we need. I do not know any *nix well enough to run that for a router, and do not want to anyway. I like the D link until I can get something better.

google for something called prtg - install that on the box that you want to monitor from. then, install snmp on each of your 2k boxes. setup sensors using the lan ip addresses of all your boxes ... hey presto. you can tweak the refresh times too if you like.

works great, thanks :) too bad it wont monitor whether it came from the router or the LAN. ah well.

trial version = free, monitor only one system at a time
full version = $2000.00 = OWWWWW!

I cant use it cuz I cant afford it :(

Back