Multi-Site Home Lab

KapsZ28

2[H]4U
Just wondering how many people have their lab stretching across multiple sites. Originally I just had an ESXi server in my house. Then I moved it to one of the DCs where I work. Eventually I rebuilt my Windows server at home with ESXi and setup an IPSec tunnel to join them to the same vCenter Server. Then my friend built an ESXi server, and we setup an IPSec tunnel between our houses and the DC and added his server to vCenter. I recently turned a laptop into an ESXi server and added it, and found an unused server at work that I will re-purpose.

Overall it will be 232 GB of memory and plenty of storage including an EqualLogic SAN. Things got really crazy when I started nesting ESXi. I feel like I never have enough. :D

I've wanted to do this with my family.
The idea of a large Family DFS share to store photos, and files we want to share.

Granted online places like BOX etc can do the same thing. But, try teaching your 80 year old grand parents how to use BOX vs teaching them how to click on a short cut on the desktop.

Feeding files into a folder that syncs remotely that they can click is just simple enough.

When long distance VMware "stuff" gets better, ill be doing this with my out of date Intel NUCs.

Free Intel NUC for every family member! Just don't touch it and leave it online.. all the time...

Nick
@vmnick0

I was going to do that with DFS, but then I ended up paying for Dropbox with multiple file versions and uploading everything there. I even have all my profile folders on my Windows laptop linked to Dropbox so all my files are always backed up. :)

I have connected my home DC via ipsec site to site @ virtualolivia.com

https://www.facebook.com/VirtualOlivia/p

10689539_894089793957670_6460358106131439627_n.png

I've got 4 esxi servers at home, 3 offsite and another 3 on my vcenter server at a friends house.

I also serve ad and dns for 6 or 7 friends over openvpn and ipsec site-to-site links. It's gotten big enough for me to consider ibgp w/ route reflectors.

For those of you with multiple sites. Are you doing anything special with the bells and whistles or is the multiple sites just for cool factor and cause you can? :p

For those of you with multiple sites. Are you doing anything special with the bells and whistles or is the multiple sites just for cool factor and cause you can? :p

Backup, backup replication, voip, file sharing, PCoIP, the site-to-site links enable firewall management and managed software updates, all the usual stuff.;)

Plex, proxy (geo localization blocking), AD, vcenter, file sharing (movies, photos etc), backup, Lync, Cisco/Juniper lab equipment, security.

Back