Multi-monitor placement question - what do you do?

night_2004

2[H]4U
How do you guys place two monitors on your desks? Do you have one immediately in front of you? Or do you have each slightly off center, where the two edges of each display meet in the middle?

Every time I mess with the idea of two monitors on my desk, it seems like I always have to have one front and center. It gets kind of annoying having the edges of the screens in the middle of my view.

But I'm wondering how you guys set all this up, and if it bothers you or not.

I'm asking because I'm thinking about going dual 24", but if I can't comfortably fit those I might go with a 2007FP+2407WFP+2007FP setup.

Dual 24" is easy. If they're both the dell units, you can just tilt them so they form a wedge. Generally, having that middle 'edge' doesn't bother me.

I've had a 1440x900 with a 1680x1050 setup. Even different resolution and different dot pitch doesn't bother me much. The monitor with the lower dot pitch would be situated a little further than the one with higher value, and I tend to orient the monitors at a wedge actually. This is how I will approach having a 32" 1080p paired up with the 2408wfp actually

I use two 24" LCDs with one in the center and the other off to the right. For some reason, I'm more comfortable looking off to the right than the left.

You could always do three LCDs and have symmetry.

I you do any gaming having one in the center will be better, for anything else, it doesn't matter.

Dual 24" is easy. If they're both the dell units, you can just tilt them so they form a wedge. Generally, having that middle 'edge' doesn't bother me.

Same here. That's how I have my 24" and 22". when I had my 3 22's I had them sorta wrapped around. It was cool too.

i off set one usually, i tend to use one monitor primarly for say web browsing and IM, i put email and such on the other.

Unfortunately I don't have a dual display set up at the moment, but I did for some time. I always had my primary display directly in front of me and the secondary off to the left. I absolutely could never stand having them meet in the middle. I like to use my main for heavy browsing/gaming and secondary for chats or various light tasks off to the side. Totally a matter of personal preference and depends on what your uses are though.

I've been considering going up to a 36" main lately, and sticking the 26" I'm using now on a wall mount and having it tilt down at me.

Just keep in mind that if you have TN panels that viewing angles kinda suck on them. IPS and VA also lose accuracy at angles, but slight deviation don't make as big of a difference on them compared to a TN. But my personal preference is to have one directly in front of me. Tilting my head to the left or right slightly may not be that bad, but why do that when I can look straight ahead and see it. Of course if you don't have the desk space, or desk setup for it your options may be limited. On my other desk, I wouldn't be able to sit directly in front of one if I ran a dual monitor on that desk. Well I guess I could get a stand that could allow it, but that would probably be just as costly as buying a new desk.

Back